Biology Research and Opportunity Endowment
Award: Varying amounts, to be spent within the fiscal year of award
Nomination Deadline: Two application deadlines per year: typically Oct 2, Feb 21.
Materials to Submit:
- Brief description of the research project or experiential learning opportunity including an itemized budget and all figures, tables, and bibliography (maximum of 2 pages) — the project description should be written by the student in consultation with the faculty mentor and be crafted around the student’s particular research question or experiential learning opportunity. Applications that exceed this page limit will not be reviewed
- Abstract (approximately 150 words) aimed at a general audience describing the project and how funds will be used.
- One-page letter of support from nominating faculty member. The faculty mentor uploads all materials as a single PDF document. Upload instructions will be provided in an email sent by the Chair of the Undergraduate Studies Committee.
- Application deadlines are as indicated above. Please follow instructions provided in the solicitation email sent to Biology instructors. The Feb 21 deadline includes applications for the summer. Please remember that all funds must be spent within this fiscal year—so plan ahead for summer work!
- All applications will be ranked by members of the USC.
- The amount of funds awarded to each proposal will depend on the amount of award money available each semester, and the number of awards made.
- Students who do not receive an award may resubmit revised proposals at the next deadline.
- Late, incomplete, and applications that do not meet the guidelines will not be reviewed.
- Students and their mentors are notified by email about the outcomes of the review, in a timely manner.
To be considered for funding, students and their mentors should follow the above guidelines. The faculty mentor submits all materials as a single PDF document to the Chair of the Undergraduate Studies Committee.