The mission of the Travel Accounts Payable Department is to provide reimbursement payments to the College of William and Mary (CWM) and to provide guidance and information regarding Travel, Business Meals and Moving and Relocation to CWM and to the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS).  This includes ensuring that all disbursements are timely, accurate, and made in compliance with established College Travel policies and procedures. In addition, disbursements must meet the rules and regulations of governmental agencies - federal, state, and local.

Travel Help Desk

The Travel Office is here to answer questions you may have on Travel, Business Meals, or Moving and Relocation Policies and Procedures.  You may email the Travel Office staff directly for help anytime during office hours.  Questions regarding the above are a priority for the Travel Office and we promise to provide a timely answer to all your questions.

The Travel Accounts Payable Department is located on the second floor of Williamsburg Professional Centre, which is at 1310 Mt. Vernon Ave. Our hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Williamsburg Professional Centre is across Monticello Ave. from the College's School of Education.

Williamsburg Professional Centre


Travel Planning and Regulations

The College expects individuals to exercise prudent judgment when arranging travel and incurring travel related expenses. Travel expense accounts are open to the public and must sustain the test of public review. The College will reimburse individuals traveling on official College business for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred, as defined by the College’s travel regulations. To request reimbursements, individuals must complete and submit travel documents as described in the College Travel Regulations. Travelers are responsible for the legality, legibility, and completeness of the Travel Expense Reimbursement Voucher (TERV). Neglecting to examine and enter necessary information according to this procedure may be cause for the return of the TERV to the traveler and delays in reimbursement. Department Heads should be sure that all travelers within their areas are aware and conversant in the College’s policies and procedures. The Office of Travel Accounts Payable is available to help departments with this training.

The College requires travelers to prepare an estimate of the total cost of any planned overnight official business travel and one-day travel expected to be $500 or more. Total cost includes lodging, transportation, meals, conference registration, and any other travel costs or course fees. Costs of the trip that may be direct billed, such as lodging or conference registration, must also be included in the Travel Authorization. This must accompany both the Travel Expense Reimbursement Voucher (TERV) and any applicable direct-billed Vendor Payment Requests (VPR).

Travel Authorization Form and Approvals

The traveler must complete the Travel Authorization Form for approval of all College related overnight travel and one-day travel expected to be $500 or more. The Travel Authorization Form is also used to obtain approval for foreign destination travel and exception requests for lodging.  At their discretion, departments may develop stricter guidelines for enforcement of travel procedures and regulations. It is the department's responsibility to make sure that only authorized approvers are signing documents and that the Accounts Payable Department has the signature cards for the department listing each authorized signer.  See Signature Cards Policy.

Travel Management Agencies

The College currently has a travel services contract with Covington Travel. Following is a list of travel services available from the travel management agency.

  • Provide domestic and international airline and railway tickets at the most favorable rate available.
  • Provide tickets that meet the arrival/departure times and locations requested by the traveler.
  • Arrange hotel accommodations when requested. Take advantage of State government or corporate discounts whichever is greater. When the traveler does not specify a hotel, selects a hotel located close to the place of business.
  • Arrange vehicle rentals when requested, using any existing mandatory State contract. Gets the most favorable rate for the car size or location required by the traveler when the vehicle rental firms do not have vehicles available.
  • Arrange group conference accommodations when requested, taking advantage of available discounts.

First Class tickets are prohibited.  When using the travel management agencies, the traveler’s airline and railway tickets will be charged to the College’s Airline Travel Card (ATC).

Bundled Travel Packages

The travel industry has begun to offer economical bundled travel packages that combine airline travel with hotel stays, car rental, and even meals. College Policy requires a detailed breakdown for each expense and pre-purchase of meals is not allowed.  These packages usually offer only a consolidated invoice that provides no breakdown of the various travel services included.
All travel rules, limitations, and documentation requirements for these packages are still in effect.  In order to purchase a travel package, the traveler must seek full reimbursement after the trip.  No pre–payment via ATC, SPCC or direct billing is allowed. PRIOR to making the purchase, the traveler must ensure that the package is the most economical option for the trip by providing additional documentation confirming the savings, as described below:

  • Comparison Documentation should be provided to show the package cost did not exceed the total for the combined expenses if purchased separately and net savings must be evident.
  • The documentation must be attached to the TERV when it is submitted to the Travel Accounts Payable department for payment processing.
  • In addition, all other travel rules, regulations, limitations and documentation requirements, are still in effect.
Sponsored Program Funds

All travel reimbursements that will be reimbursed solely from sponsored program funds, are governed by the terms and conditions of the individual grant or contract. "Sponsored Program" should be clearly stated on the reimbursement voucher. In addition, for all sponsored research, the grant or contract must specifically state an exception.  This is not a blanket exception for all sponsored research projects.  Further, the exception should be approved by a grant administrator.