At W&M, you may study Italian at the beginner through advanced levels. As you gain fluency in the language, you will be introduced to more advanced topics that explore the cultures of Italy. Italy has played a central role in world events from before the Roman times, through the Renaissance, to the present. Our courses reflect this.
If you are interested in Italian culture but don't speak Italian, we offer courses in English at the 300 level:
- ITAL 304: Introduction to Italian Cultural Studies
- ITAL 309: Dante and the Medieval Tradition
- ITAL 310: Italian Cinema and Post-War Italian Culture
- ITAL 312: Renaissance Italy
- ITAL 316: 20th-Century Italian Women Writers (COLL 200, ALV)
- ITAL 317: Italian America
- ITAL 320: Imitations of Life: Italian Autobiographies
ITAL 313, Topics in Italian Studies is also taught in English. Topics vary by semester. Past offerings include: Fascism & Holocaust in Italy, Renaissance Literature in Translation, Politics & Culture in Italian Cinema, and Dante's Inferno.