Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

Declaring a Major or Minor

To declare a major or minor in Linguistics, you first need to find an advisor who will help you find the best courses for your interests. Any of our Linguistics faculty members can serve as your advisor: just go to their office hours to talk about it.

To declare a major in Linguistics, you and your advisor will fill out two forms: the Declaration of Major form [pdf] and the Application for Linguistics Major form [pdf].

To declare a minor in Linguistics, you just fill out the Declaration of Academic Minor form [pdf].

You can leave these forms in the mailbox of the Director of Linguistics (in Tucker 112), who will scan them and send the originals to the Registrar.

The forms ask you to indicate the specific courses that will count toward your degree. Those courses are entered in DegreeWorks. Often you end up taking different courses, though. During your senior year, you may have to fill out a Petition for Change in Program form so that DegreeWorks counts your courses correctly.