Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary


Interested in an internship for academic credit? University policy for internship credit is spelled out here:

  • The internship should provide a structured learning experience.
  • The internship provides an opportunity to apply and expand knowledge under expert supervision.
  • The internship must be approved in advance.
  • Academic credit is awarded for a project that incorporates the hands-on experience of the internship, but also includes an analytic or research component and a final, written report.

What steps do you need to take to get credit for an internship in International Relations?

  • First, find an International Relations faculty member to supervise the academic component of your internship. 
  • You and your internship advisor should complete the Internship for Academic Credit form together, get the required signatures, and submit the form to the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs (located in Tucker Hall, Room 033).
  • The internship paperwork MUST be submitted and approved prior to leaving campus and starting the internship.
  • To receive academic credit for the internship in International Relations (INRL 498), the analytic or research-based component must address an international relations topic. This assignment will be evaluated and graded by your faculty internship supervisor.

Please note: If you are participating in a William & Mary internship-based course, such as the Washington Center, you do not have to submit the Internship for Academic Credit form. Instead, you will receive internship credit and a grade as part of the program. Questions about getting the appropriate credit for these internships should be directed to the faculty member supervising your program.