Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

Declaring an IR major

Why Major in International Relations

There are various ways to study international relations at William & Mary. International Relations may be the right major for you if you think globally, find that an interdisciplinary approach best reflects your diverse interests, and are policy-focused.

When to Declare

You may declare your major once you have earned 39 credits, and must do so by the time you have 54 credits. Don't wait until you declare to think about meeting major requirements. Meet with your advisor (or seek advice) early and often. Please check with DegreeWorks to ensure that you meet the 39 credits.

How to Declare/Finding a Major Advisor

You should approach an International Relations professor about becoming your International Relations advisor. This could be your pre-major advisor, an International Relations professor with whom you've had a class or a professor who shares your substantive interests. You may also contact the Program's Director of Advising for help with your forms or the major declaration process.

You should then set up an appointment with your advisor, fill out as much of the Declaration of Major form [pdf] as you can, and think about what courses you would like to take. Bring the Declaration of Major form to your appointment; it will save time and facilitate conversation. Your completed form should be submitted to the Director of Advising.

For one reason or another, you may find that you need to change your major advisor. This is easily accomplished by completing the Change of Advisor form [pdf]. You will need to get the signature of your new advisor. This form is not necessary to change from your pre-major advisor to your major advisor. That process is automatic.