Guidelines for Letters of Recommendation
- When asking for letters of recommendation from geology professors, please keep the following in mind:
- Give the letter writer at least 2 weeks in advance or earlier. Consider that in addition to their normal workload, they are writing letters for other students as well. Make it easier on everyone and send your requests early!
- When you send a letter of recommendation request to a professor through a website, make sure you email them separately and get their confirmation that they 1) Got your letter request and 2) Know the deadline for the recommendation
- The person you pick to be your letter writer should know you and know what your goals are
- Being a TA, joining SGE or AWG, regularly attending Brown Bags and Seminars and generally being involved in the geology community are great ways for a letter writer to be able to speak to your background, character and goals.