The Department of Computer Science's core community made up of faculty, staff, alumni, graduate and undergraduate students who have made computer science a foundation of their academic life. A foundation from which you can reach out to other disciplines and communities - not an isolated tower. Our community members are active within the discipline both on and off campus, and are also active members in other academic fields, such as mathematics or data science; and in non-academic groups such as sports teams, political groups, or music ensembles.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Department of Computer Science is dedicated to building a departmental culture that welcomes people from all backgrounds. Our Broadening Participation in Computing Plan [pdf] details the concrete steps we are taking to include people from groups that are under-represented in our field.
Camaraderie & Fun
One doesn't live on code alone. We have several active programs to foster a sense of community and belonging.
- Our T-Shirt Contest brings out the designer in all of us
- Every fall we have a strong presence at Grace Hopper Conference.
- Our department helps in organizing Hackathons.
- We host an annual Homecoming event for our alumni. Come see us in the department lobby.
- We occasionally host career nights where recent alumni can talk to students interested in learning about career opportunities.
- Student organizations offer networking and group study opportunities.
- Several of our faculty members frequently visit universities and nearby schools for talks and demonstrations.
If you would like to be kept up to date on future activities or propose new ones, please contact us.