The Williamsburg Trolley and Bus Lines provide a low-cost or free (with a W&M ID) method of local transportation.
Taxi & Rideshares
- Zipcars are cars that you can rent for a short period of time (a couple of hours to a day).
- These cars are parked on-campus and are good for local trips, such as to the grocery store.
- To rent a Zipcar, you must have had your driver’s license for at least one year.
- You can rent with a foreign license, but if you do so, you may need to provide a translated driving record from your home country. See Zipcar for details.
- For more information, including how to enroll and current rates, visit WM Zipcar.
Car Rental Agency
- You can rent a car with a foreign license (they will want to see your passport and W&M ID).
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- If you are under 25 years old there will be an additional underage surcharge per day.
- You are strongly advised to purchase the insurance, as even minor accidents or scrapes can be very expensive without insurance.
A SSNis not required to rent a car.
- You can generally get a cheaper rate with an online reservation: Enterprise-Rent-A-Car or Hertz Car Rental.
Resources for Transportation Options
- Transportation to Williamsburg: Resources about transportation to Williamsburg including information about airports, shuttles, bus, and trains.
- W&M Parking and Transportation: Provides information about public transportation, Zipcars, and out of town travel.
- Oleta Coach Lines: Offers William & Mary students and faculty an easy and inexpensive way of getting to/from Northern Virginia for the scheduled breaks.
- Student Carpool Facebook Group. A Facebook group managed by W&M students. Requires a W&M email to join the group. Some students use this to seek rides or advertise rides. (Note: This group is not affiliated with W&M and is provided for information purposes only. The
RevesCenter does not endorse or confirm the accuracy of its content).