Good to Know
You can design and conduct your own research project through the Honors Program or by taking an Independent Study course. Faculty often welcome student help on their research. Details of individual research labs and topics are found on departmental sites.
Support for Research
- Charles Center - supports student research and engaged learning, honors and interdisciplinary studies.
- Funding for Research - the Charles Center serves as a primary resource for funding for student research
- W&M Scholars Undergraduate Research Experience [WMSURE] - uses workshops and mentoring to promote undergraduate research.
Help Doing Research
- Research Compliance & Protocols - if your research will involve human subjects, you need to comply with these protocols
- Swem Research Guides - the research librarians at Swem curate many guides that link to topic-specific information sources
- Writing Resources Center - get help at all stages of the writing process, in any discipline
- History Writing Resource Center - focuses on providing help for those history papers.
Specific Research Programs
- Honors Program - provides qualified students the opportunity to complete a two-semester, six-credit research project that culminates in a thesis and oral defense.
- HHMI Science & Research Program - with funding from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, this program provides opportunities for students to get involved with science research
- Sharpe Community Scholars Program - the community-based research portion of the Sharpe experience provides students the bridge between academics and effective, real-world action.