Why is diaper outreach important?
- 5.9 million babies age three or younger live in poor or low-income families.
- 1 of 3 families struggle to buy diapers and they cannot be purchased with WIC or SNAP assistance.
- Parents are often forced to reuse diapers leading to diaper rash and urinary tract infections placing a strain on our healthcare systems.
- Childcare requires moms to provide a day's supply of diapers or they are turned away keeping moms from being able to work.
In the fall of 2014, we became a registered diaper bank through the National Diaper Bank Network to help alleviate diaper need in our local community. To learn more about our diaper bank, click here.
The Healthy Beginnings Diaper Outreach Program distributes diapers those in need in the Williamsburg community through several community partners:
- Williamsburg Public Housing
- Child Development Resources (CDR)
- Williamsburg WIC program
Because of generous community support, we are able to distribute over 800 diapers every month! We have also historically been partially funded through grants from:
- The Walmart Foundation
- William & Mary Office of Community Engagement
- Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity
We also rely on many individual donations!
We accept all sizes of diapers, premie through pull-ups, in new or open packages! Unfortunately, we do not accept cloth diapers or swim diapers.
We are most frequently in need of larger sizes, sizes 4, 5, 6, and pull-ups!
If you'd like to donate diapers, here's how:
- Locally: email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a diaper dropoff or pick-up!
- Amazon wishlist (these ship directly to us!)
- Ship donations to:
C/O The Healthy Beginnings Project
Department of Psychology
College of William and Mary
ISC Room 1137
540 Landrum Dr.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
For more info, contact us at email@example.com