Area of Specialization:
Nutritional epidemiology and food systems
Dr. Conrad’s research utilizes large datasets and modeling techniques to examine the complex interactions between food choice, diet quality, and environmental sustainability. Specifically, his research focuses on how population-level dietary changes affect health outcomes, natural resource use, and sustainable food production, with an emphasis on low-income and other nutritionally vulnerable populations.
Education and Training:
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist, US Department of Agriculture, 2016-2019
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, 2015-2016
- PhD, Nutrition and Food Systems, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, 2015
- MS, Public Health and Food Systems, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, 2010
- MPH, Nutrition, School of Medicine, Tufts University, 2010
- BA, Biology and Anthropology, Human Health and Food Systems, Trent University, 2007
- Basic Science of Nutrition (KINE 350)
- Nutrition in Health and Disease (KINE 354)
- Nutrition Across the Lifecycle (KINE 357)
- Population Nutrition, Policy, and Programs (KINE 361)
- Sustainable Food Systems and Diets (KINE 362)
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:*Student co-author
- Conrad, Zach; Stern, Alexandra; Love, David; Salesses, Meredith*; Cyril, Ashley*; McDowell, Acree*; Blackstone, Nicole Tichenor. (2021). Data integration for diet sustainability analyses. Sustainability. (In press).
- Conrad, Zach; Reinhardt, Sarah; Boehm, Rebecca; McDowell, Acree*. (2021). Higher diet quality is associated with higher diet costs when eating at home and away from home: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2005-2016. Public Health Nutrition. (In press).
- Love, David; Ashe, Frank; Young, Ruth; Nussbaumer, Elizabeth M.; Anderson, James L.; Botta, Robert; Conrad, Zach; Froehlich, Halley E.; Garlock, Taryn M.; Gephart, Jessica A.; Ropicki, Andrew; Stoll, Joshua S.; Thorne-Lyman, Andrew L. (2021). An overview of retail sales of seafood in the United States, 2017-2019. Reviews in Fisheries Science and Aquaculture. (In press).
- Conrad, Zach; Hatfield, Daniel P.; Hennessy, Erin; Maneval, Elizabeth*; Ty, Esther*; Pankey, Christopher. (2021). Evaluating moderation of parent-teen overweight/obesity relationship by household socioeconomic status. Current Developments in Nutrition, 5: nzab030.
- Conrad, Zach; Blackstone, Nicole Tichenor. (2021). Identifying the links between consumer food waste, nutrition, and environmental sustainability: a narrative review. Nutrition Reviews, 79: 301-314.
- Conrad, Zach; Reinhardt, Sarah; McDowell, Acree*; Nance, Julie. (2021). Reducing food waste and saving money: a guide for nutritionists. Nutrition Today, 56: 33-38.