Adjunct Associate Professor
Early American Architecture; British Architectural History, 1550-1850
Member of the Architectural Research Department at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation since 1982. Responsible for long term research projects including public buildings, 17th and 18th century theaters, building craftsmen, 17th-century rowhouses, churches and meeting houses. Consultant in design and architectural research for museums and historical societies and state agencies. Recent designs include 17th century church for Jamestown Settlement; report on rowhouses for Jamestown Rediscovery; courtroom fittings for Prince William County, Va.; jail investigations for Currituck Co., NC Historic Society; and investigation of several houses for the Historic Charleston Foundation. In addition to research, Dr. Lounsbury has taught at University of Mary Washington; Virginia Commonwealth University, and the University of Virginia. He is currently co-ordinator of the NIAHD program at Colonial Williamsburg and a lecturer in the History Department. Publications include: Architects and Builders in North Carolina: A History of the Practice of Building, 1990; An Illustrated Glossary of Early Southern Architecture and Landscape, 1994; From Statehouse to Courthouse: An Architectural History of South Carolina's Colonial Capitol and Charleston County Courthouse, 2001; and The Courthouses of Early Virginia: An Architectural History.