Why Study Geology?
Earth is our home planet, a bright blue marble spinning through space. The Earth is certainly beautiful, but why study Geology?
- Geology studies both modern and ancient environments, deciphering the processes at work on our planet
- Geology is a means and a method for understanding and discovering the natural resources upon which the modern world is based
- Geology is a study of history, a long view of history that extends back billions of years
- Geology helps us identify and mitigate natural hazards such as earthquakes, coastal erosion, flooding, and landslides.
- Geology is an excellent reason for travel as the Earth itself provides geologists with their primary data