W&M Classical Studies Summer Programs
The Department of Classical Studies at the College of William &Mary is pleased to offer two summer programs in alternate years. Both programs offer the opportunity to visit archaeological sites, study monuments, and examine works of art of classical antiquity in their original setting.
The following list is by no means exhaustive. If you have had a wonderful experience with a program that is not included here, please contact us.
Below are some other programs offering opportunities for summer study and/or fieldwork (listed in alphabetical order):
- American Academy in Rome: Classical Summer School
- American School of Classical Studies at Athens: Summer Session
- College Year in Athens: Summer Programs
- The American Research Center in Sofia leads several study abroad programs and field schools (including one in Bulgaria)
- You may also check the Archaeological Fieldwork Opportunities Bulletin, which is published by the Archaeological Institute of America. Click on the Fieldwork link.
Archaeological Fieldwork Opportunities in Italy
- Gabii Project.
- San Martino Archaeological Field School.
- Mugello Valley Archaeological Project and Poggio Colla Field School.
- Poggio Civitate (Etruscan Studies) Field School.
- The San Felice Archaeological Research Project is the archaeological investigation of a Roman imperial landholding in modern Puglia (ancient Apulia).
- Drew University in Umbria: The Vicus Martis Tudertium Project is an archaeological project on the ancient Via Flaminia.
- The American Institute for Roman Culture.
Archaeological Fieldwork Opportunities Elsewhere
- The Agora in Athens
- Azoria (Crete)
- Balkan Heritage Field School (many options in Bulgaria, Macedonia, and Thrace)
- W&M Center for Archaeological Research (offers both paid & internship opportunities)
Here are some programs offering opportunites for study during the academic year (listed in alphabetical order):
- College Year in Athens
- Hellenic Education & Research Center (HERC): Classics Advanced Semester Program (prerequisite: 1 year of Ancient Greek).
- Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies (Rome) (ICCS)
- Mediterranean Center for Arts and Sciences (MCAS): Semester and Year Long Programs in Classical Studies in Sicily. The Center is affiliated with W&M and also runs the summer abroad program described above.