Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

Tuition & Fees

NOTE: this page will be kept as up-to-date as possible, but William & Mary may decide at any time to change tuition rates for upcoming semesters.  Contact the [[wehutt, Post-baccalaureate Program Director]] for the latest information on tuition rates.

As an institution of the Commonwealth of Virginia, William & Mary has differential tuition for students who are residents of Virginia and those who are not.  Currently the rates are as follows:

$3,250 per semester for in-state students and
$6,250 per semester for out-of-state students.

Our tuition rates cover up to 11 credit hours per semester.  This generally means up to 3 regular semester courses (which are usually 3 or 4 credits) plus one or two extra courses that earn 1 credit, such as the post-baccalaureate proseminar or a teaching practicum in the department.

Since they do not pay university fees in addition to tuition, post-baccalaureate students do not have some privileges, such as access to the Student Health Center. Post-baccalaureate students must also find their own housing within the community. Although the Department cannot assist in finding housing or part-time employment, helpful information about the local housing market can be found on the William & Mary Off-Campus Housing webpage. Financial aid, including scholarships, fellowships, and work-study positions is currently not available for this program, although the department usually has funds to help post-baccalaureate students pursue opportunities for summer research, study, and archaeological excavation.

Qualifying for in-state tuition: In general, if you came to Virginia recently, you will need to establish your residency in Virginia for at least 12 months prior to the start of a semester to qualify for in-state tuition, and "establishing residency" means more than simply having a Virginia address.  For more details see the relevant sections of the Virginia Code, sections 23.1-501 to 505.   The form you will need to submit to W&M to request in-state tuition status can be found here.