The Post-Baccalaureate Program has rolling admissions. The Department welcomes applications between Dec. 1 and May 1 for admission in the following fall. You will be notified of the department’s decision about one month after we have received your application and all the required supporting documents. Students who wish to apply to the program should submit the following materials (details of how and where to submit these items are also included on the application form):
- A completed application form for the Post-Baccalaureate Program.
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended, with date of actual or expected degree(s) clearly indicated. These should be sent directly from your institution(s) to the address below.
- Two letters of recommendation from college or university instructors familiar with your work. Letters addressing your experience with Latin, ancient Greek, and/or other topics in Classical Studies would be most welcome. These should be sent directly from your recommenders to the address below.
- A personal statement, not more than two double-spaced pages, describing your prior experience with Greek, Latin, ancient History and/or Archaeology and a explaining how this program will meet your personal and professional goals.
- A check or money order payable to "William & Mary" for the $70 non-refundable application fee.
- If you are a Virginia resident and wish to qualify for the in-state tuition rate, also submit the form for determining in-state tuition eligibility available here.
Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of English language proficiency through one of the following means:
- An undergraduate or graduate degree completed or to be awarded prior to enrollment at W&M from an institution in which English is the primary language of instruction.
- A composite score of 100 or higher on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet Based Test (iBT), or an score of 7 or higher on the academic exam of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Applicants who are not able to take one of these tests or have test scores below the standards specified above may still be admitted after a successful oral interview with the post-baccalaureate program director.
NOTE that currently (January 2023), W&M is unable to sponsor international students for F-1 visas for the purpose of enrolling in the post-baccalaureate program in Classical Studies. We are working on remedying that; contact the program director (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the latest information.
The official transcripts, letters of recommendation, and TOEFL or IELTS scores (if needed) should be sent directly either by mail to the address below or by e-mail to the Post-baccalaureate Program Director (email@example.com).
The other items (the application, the personal statement and the application fee) should be sent by mail to the following address:Director, Post-Baccalaureate Program
Department of Classical Studies
William & Mary
PO Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795