What to Expect
Make the Most of Your WRC Consultation
Excelling in written and oral communication is hard work, but it can be fun and rewarding. We look forward to working with you!
- Plan ahead. Schedule an appointment as soon as you can after you receive the assignment. Although walk-ins are welcome, don’t count on finding an available consultant at busy times of the semester.
- Bring the assignment you are working on or a sample of your writing. Come with any relevant materials – assignment sheets, notes, rough drafts, outline, visual aids, etc.
- Take an active role. Think over particular writing or communication problems you encounter and let the consultant know what concerns you most.
What you can expect from the WRC:
- Individual help with your writing or oral communication questions – performance anxiety, writer’s block, research methods, organization, revision strategies, proper format, etc.
- Assistance at any stage, from generating ideas to polishing a final product, and with any type of writing, presentation, or communication project.
- A compatible, competent consultant.
- Guidance in building and improving your own writing, editing, and presentation skills.
What you cannot expect from the WRC:
- An editing service where you sit back and relax while a consultant does the writing or organizes your presentation for you. We want to help you work independently to become your own best editor.
- Omniscient and infallible consultants; however, what we don’t know, we’ll try to find out.
- A perfect paper or presentation. One session is not enough time to address every problem or issue. The real goal of the consultation is to help you become a better writer, communicator, and problem-solver, a process that happens gradually.
For an Online Consultation
If you have scheduled an online consultation, log back into WCOnline, our scheduling app, approximately five to ten minutes before the start of your appointment. Then, open the appointment and click the Zoom link in the "Location" box.
Text by WRC consultant Akshay Deverakonda (updated Summer 2021)