Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

Earn Teacher Certification

Three Different Paths

At The College of William and Mary, students have three available paths to become certified to teach.

For Sophmores and Juniors

If you are interested in completing Elementary or Secondary education as part of your Undergraduate program, you must apply for admission to the School of Education [pdf] during the spring semester of your sophomore year or the fall semester of your junior year. If you are a science or mathematics major, education will be your secondary major. You should be able to complete the requirements for certification during the standard four years of undergraduate work. The TCT program can fund a summer internship that can help you get some experience in the education field.

For Juniors and first-semester Seniors - Joint B.S./MA.Ed

If you don't decide until the spring of your junior year that you want to teach - don't worry - it's not too late. You can apply to the Five Year Bachelor's to Master's Degree Option. Applications are accepted as early as March 1 of the social junior year and must be received no later than the second week of classes of the fall semester of your social senior year.

As an admitted student you will take 3 education courses during your senior year, and then elevate to the Master's program the summer following graduation. You will then be a full-time master's student in the Master of Arts in Education program. As a science or mathematics major who will teach secondary mathematics or science, the Noyce Scholarship can provide funding for this fifth year.

For Seniors and Graduates

If you find that a second major/curriculum, or even a few additional courses in education just won't fit into your undergrad schedule, you still have the option of applying to our Graduate Programs.  As a science or mathematics major, the Noyce Scholarship can help provide funding if you commit to teach secondary mathematics or science.