Frequently Asked Questions

William & Mary welcomes applications for admission from current or veteran service members and hopes to assist you in applying for undergraduate or graduate admission to the university.

Below you will find a list of frequently asked questions about applying to the university as a veteran.

Am I a freshman?

You are considered a freshman if you are still a high school student or if you have not enrolled in any college courses after graduating from high school. Learn more about applying for admission as a freshman.

Am I a transfer student?

You are considered a transfer student if you have previously enrolled in any course for college credit after graduating from high school. If you are a high school student and are enrolled in an International Baccalaureate (IB) Program or have earned AP credit, you are still considered a freshman. Learn about applying for admission as a transfer student.

If you are unsure as to whether you are a freshman or transfer student, please contact Undergraduate Admission at 757-221-4223 or [[admission]].

Do I need to take the ACT or SAT?

If you are a freshman, you will need to submit an ACT or SAT test score and a final high school transcript (or GED test score). For those applicants who have been out of school for more than five years, William & Mary waives the ACT or SAT requirement.

Do you accept military credit?

Coursework from the Air University, the Defense Language Institute, the United States Naval Academy, the United States Military Academy, the United States Air Force Academy and the United States Coast Guard Academy will be considered for transfer if a comparable course is offered at William & Mary.

Military Science or ROTC credit earned at other regionally accredited colleges and universities may be considered for transfer into the Department of Military Science.

Do you accept CLEP exams?

The university awards credit according to W&M scoring requirements found in the undergraduate course catalog. Learn more about pre-matriculation test credits.

Who can I contact with questions?

For questions about applying for admission, contact Undergraduate Admission at 757-221-4223 or [[admission]].

For questions about VA Benefits, military tuition assistance, credits and degree evaluations, contact the University Registrar at 757-221-2800, [[vabenefits]] or visit the Military and Veterans Students page.

For questions about the Military Science curriculum or ROTC program, contact the Department of Military Science at 757-221-3600.

military friendly    maet top universities