Cardinal HCM Employee Self-Service Registration
Cardinal HCM (Human Capital Management) is the statewide HR system. It is operated by the Virginia Department of Human Resource Management (DHRM) and named after the Virginia state bird.
Employees will use Cardinal Employee Self-Service (ESS) only for state employee health benefits and flexible spending elections and confirmations.
Employees must complete a one-time registration process and need two pieces of information for the registration:
- Your Cardinal Employee ID: HR will provide this to employees in a new hire email
- Your W&M email address
Please reference the Cardinal Registration Quick Start Guide when completing the registration. Keep the following in mind when you use the guide:
- You should indicate that you are an active state employee.
- W&M is a non-COV agency, so you will need to complete Step 22.
- Banner is the source of the data in Cardinal. If corrections are needed to your name, complete a Name Change Form (pdf). If you need to update your mailing address, go to Personal Information Questionnaire. Please note that it takes a few weeks for health vendors to update their systems with current address information. For other data issues, contact [[AskHR]].
Once registered, you can return to my.cardinal.virginia.gov to log in with your username and password. You may want to check out the “Benefit Details” tile and these helpful videos:
- Cardinal ESS: Overview of the Benefit Details Tile
- Cardinal ESS: How to Create a Life Event
- Cardinal ESS: Open Enrollment (available during May only)
When initiating a life event (such as marriage or birth of a child), you may be required to submit supporting documentation.