Every device that uses the W&M network will have to be authenticated to gain access. This may be a computer, laptop, mobile device, wireless game system, or wireless printer. Students, staff, and faculty will use a WMuserid and password to authenticate.
Guests and visitors will use a different process. You will go through this authentication process when devices are new to campus, as well as once a year during the annual reauthentication period.
Don't worry - it's actually very easy to do.
How do I authenticate?
- Log on to your computer or device as usual.
- Open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome etc.) and navigate to connect.wm.edu. You may be automatically presented with the W&M authentication page when you open the browser.
- Follow the on-screen directions to enter your WMuserid and password.
How often will I have to reauthenticate my computer?
Authentication will be required once every 12 months. This year authentication will be required on Wednesday, August 1st.
How do I reauthenticate my computer early, so I don't have to worry about it later?
There will be a window offered to reauthenticate early. When it is available, go to connect.wm.edu and follow the directions.
What happens if I don't reauthenticate my computer?
If you are on campus anytime after midnight on the reauthentication date, you will not have access to the wired or wireless W&M network until you follow the authentication steps. Until your computer is authenticated, you will not be able to access most services (e.g., email, Internet). Of course, if you took advantage of the option to authenticate early, your network connection will work as usual.
What should I do if I am not on campus on (or before) the reauthentication date?
If you are not on campus on or before the authentication date, you will perform this one time authentication the first time you come to campus and use your computer. You will still have access to the W&M network (for email, Blackboard, etc.) from computers you use off campus.
What about printers on the W&M network?
Network printers and servers in W&M departments will be pre-authenticated. If a network printer is unresponsive after August 1st, it may need to be rebooted before the network will recognize it. Network authentication requires that a system "talk" on its own and we have found that some printers with static IP address assignments need a reboot before they will "talk." In the rare case that a reboot does not fix the problem, please contact the Technology Support Center at 757-221-4357 (HELP).
How do I access the W&M network with my Xbox, Wireless Printer or other device?
Students should follow the following steps to connect a device. W&M Faculty and staff should contact the Technology Support Center for device authentication.
- Find the physical address (MAC address) of the device. We recommend visiting the manufacturer's website of your device for instructions on finding its physical address.
- Log in to connect.wm.edu/devices using your WMuserid and Password.
- Follow the prompts to complete the device authentication process.
- Once complete, wait a few minutes before trying to connect the device to the W&M network. It could take up to five minutes.
Please note that William and Mary will not provide technical support, or guarantee the functionality of the device. Contact the manufacturer if you have any technical support questions.
Does this apply to VIMS?
No. VIMS has a different authentication time and process. Contact the VIMS IT Administrator for details.
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 201, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm