Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Contractor Information

Contractors must obtain an ID Card for Door Access

A contractor account provides an ID Card, most notably for door access. All contractor employees entering university buildings need a personal William & Mary ID card for door access.  No generic company access cards will be issued. This will associate a specific person with building access, to ensure accurate tracking and building security.  

No Information Technology services are associated with Contractor account!

I am a contractor
  1. Find a W&M sponsor - Generally this would be a person from the department you are contracting under.
  2. Provide sponsor with your personal information - We need your full legal name, date of birth, home address, phone number, and personal email address.
  3. Request Access - Your sponsor will submit a request for a contractor account via Request IT using the affiliate/contractor account form. (See "I am hiring a contractor" for details)
  4. Get your ID Card - One full business day after the request is submitted, you can pick-up your ID card in the ID Office of the Campus Center*.   You will have your picture taken and you must also bring in any cards you have used previously so they can be destroyed.
* The ID Office is located in the Campus Center, which is adjacent to Facilities Management and Trinkle Hall, at 104 Jamestown Road.  The ID Office is on the first floor and is open from 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday. 

I am hiring a contractor (Sponsor)
  1. Collect personal information from contractor - You will need their full legal name, date of birth, home address, phone number, and personal email address.
  2. Create an Account - Use Request IT to submit a request for an affiliate/contractor account (in the Service Request category). 
  3. Inform Contractor -  Inform the contractor that you have submitted the request.  They will need to wait one business day before picking-up their new card at the ID office.
Frequently Asked Questions

How much does a card cost?
The cost of an ID Card is $23.

Are there any exceptions for generic card?
There will be no generic vendor/contractor access cards issued, no exceptions.

What if a contractor loses their card?
Once issued the contractor is responsible for replacement costs if they lose their ID card.  There is a $23 lost card replacement fee.

When does the account expire?
The sponsor will determine the expiration date of the contractor account, up to a year (the maximum allotted time).  However, the sponsor may submit a renewal request in Request IT to extend the expiration date.   


Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]]  | Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm