The W&M Promise
The William & Mary Promise was an innovative tuition model introduced at the university in 2013 to enhance predictability and affordability for Virginia’s undergraduate students. Under the model, tuition increases for in-state undergraduates were either frozen for four years or capped under a specified limit that was publicly adopted by the Board of Visitors. For more information please visit the W&M Promise page.
- A one-time, non-refundable Student Transition/Family Program fee of $ 353.00 is required of all new students. A charge will appear on the student's eBill statement during their first academic semester.
A one-time, non-refundable Graduation Fee (per degree) of $ 145.00 will be charged all students after they have filed their 'Notice of Candidacy for Graduation'.
- William & Mary Mason School of Business students are charged a supplemental fee on a per semester basis. Declared Business majors will be charged a $2,500.00 fee per semester and declared Business minors will be charged a $ 1,250.00 fee per semester.
- William & Mary School of Education students will be charged a one-time LiveText fee of $125.00 for web based assessment system access. LiveText is a web-based document creation and storage system that provides School of Education students the ability to store, maintain, and publish a professional career portfolio that can be accessed for up to five years after graduation.
- International students will be charged a one-time Orientation Fee of $ 130.00 at the beginning of the student's degree program. They will also incur a $65.00 Service Fee for each enrolled semester with the exception of summer sessions. For more information on these fees, please view the Reves Center website.
- Non-W&M NIAHD students will be charged an Academic Program fee of $ 750.00.
- Washington DC Semester program students are charged additional program fees during the Fall and Spring semesters. The DC Summer Institute and DC Winter Seminar sessions also incur additional fees. Please visit the Study in DC site for more information. These fees are non-refundable.
- Applied music courses carry an additional charge of $ 425.00 per one 30 minute lesson (one credit hour).
- Specific art, science lab and kinesiology courses also charge an additional fee. Classes carrying fees have a notation in Banner self-Service, "Additional Fees," and the amount of the fee may be viewed in the Class Detail screen for each section. These fees are non-refundable.
In-state students exceeding 125% of the minimum credit hours needed for a specific degree program will be assessed a surcharge for each semester of continued enrollment after exceeding the credit hour threshold. According to this state law (Section 23.1-509 of the Code of Virginia) all W&M and transfer credits that meet the degree requirements of the student's chosen program of study are used in the calculation of the percentage.
In an effort to protect students and ensure their best interest, the U.S. Department of Education published the new Program Integrity and Improvement rules to provide students the ability to opt out of course/class fees associated with books or supplies. For more information on this new regulation, please view the Course Fee Opt-Out document.