During the past decade, William & Mary has experienced dramatic growth in its international population. Since 2006, the international student population has doubled in size. This development has provided educational opportunities for hundreds of international students at W&M and enriches the university and Williamsburg community. At the same time, it naturally increases the demand for services to support international students and their families.
To respond to this increased demand, W&M assesses two international student fees.
International Services Fee: This fee of $65 is charged once per semester to enrolled international students in F-1 and J-1 status. This fee is not charged during the summer session.
International Orientation Fee: This fee of $130 is charged once (at the beginning of a student’s program) to new international students in F-1 and J-1 status.
Revenues from the fees are used to support and enhance specialized services for the international student community.
- Operational support: Staffing and technological infrastructure to better serve the growing international community.
- Orientation: Expanding the welcome services for new international students, designed to acquaint them with W&M and the Williamsburg community and to facilitate the transition and adjustment to life in the United States.
- Cultural and Social Programming: More opportunities for cultural, social, and educational programs.
- Immigration and Visa Advising: Offering enhanced advising services on a variety of matters including immigration, student life, and personal matters.
- Educational and Academic Workshops: Workshops and resources designed to provide information on a wide variety of topics of concern to international students (e.g. career search).
- International Families: Providing support services to the spouses, partners, and children of our students and scholars.
- Tax Assistance: Continuation of the annual tax software license (prepares tax returns for international students who work on campus and in internships) and enhancement of tax filing assistance services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are these fees being charged?
Over the past 6 years, the international student population has grown by 97%. The combination of state budget cuts and rise in enrollment has resulted in a significant per capita drop in the financial support of the programs and services that support them. These fees will allow us to continue offering our current programs and services as well as meet the changing needs of the international community at W&M.
Do all schools charge these fees?
Schools differ in how they fund their operations. It is very common for public universities to charge orientation and service fees to international students. Some private schools charge no specific international fees but charge higher tuition or have substantial private funds available to them. In setting these fees, we sought to stay at the low end of the range of what other comparative universities charge.
If I don’t use a particular service or program, can the fee be waived or reduced?
The fees support all programs and services specially designed for international students. Accordingly, we cannot reduce or waive the fee based on usage of individual services. Our services and programs range from visa document issuance (I-20 and DS-2019) and SEVIS (Immigration) record administration to international orientation to trips (e.g. Social Security Office, Washington DC, E-Mart, etc.) and support programs (e.g. Global Friends Program, International Spouse Network, International Student Success Series). All students studying at W&M in F-1 and J-1 status use at least some of our services.
Questions and Concerns: If you have questions or concerns about the fees, please feel free to contact Stephen Sechrist, Director of International Students, Scholars, and Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.