Info for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary


ATTENTION:  The refund of W&M Student Account credit balances will begin on the first day of class. If you would like funds transferred to your W&M Express card for bookstore purchases, an online request form will be available approximately one week prior to the first day of class for the semester.   This option will no longer be available after the first day of class as the refund process begins.   Please see our W&M Express page for more information.
Please sign up for the Direct Deposit of your Refund in eServices!
  • Sign in to eServices through Banner self-serve and choose the 'Refunds' option at the top of the screen or choose 'Electronic Refunds' under the 'My Profile Setup' block to provide your bank information
  • Complete this online form to request a refund of your W&M Student Account credit balance
  • Please read below for more information on the W&M refund process
Student Account Refund Process

The Financial Aid Office will disburse funds to your student account on the first day of class if all requirements for receiving these funds have been met (see the Financial Aid website for more information).

If a credit balance of more than $5.00 exists on your student account and is the direct result of federal loans or grants (Plus Loans, Direct Loans, Perkins Loans, Pell Grants, SEOG Grants) you are automatically refunded within 2 weeks of disbursement following federal guidelines. If you have not received your refund within two weeks of disbursement, please complete the online form above.

Parent Plus Loan credit balances are refunded to the parent unless the parent designates the student as the recipient during the loan application process. Parent Plus loan refunds are mailed to the parent's address listed on the loan application.

Refunds for overpayments are issued as:

  1. Direct deposit to your bank account if you have signed up for eRefund via eServices
  2. A paper check mailed in the following address priority:
    • CSU or GSH Box
    • Local Address
    • Permanent Mailing Address

Paper checks mailed off campus are issued to the most current address in Banner. Please complete a refund request form for any temporary address changes. It is the responsibility of the student to update their local and permanent mailing address by logging into Banner self service.

Please be prepared to cover any non-WM costs for housing, meals and other personal expenses until your refund is available.

W&M Express Transfers

The Bursar's Office will begin processing W&M Express Card transfer requests for book purchases at the W&M Barnes and Noble Bookstore on August 3, 2020.  Please see our W&M Express page for more information and a link to the new online request form.

Refunds for withdrawal from the university, Dropped Classes and/or Reduced Course Load

If you are planning to withdraw from William & Mary, please see the university's withdrawal schedule for tuition and fee adjustment guidelines. Depending on your course load and the date you drop a course, you may or may not be entitled to a reduction in tuition and fees. If you have questions regarding a possible tuition reduction, please contact our office for refund information at (757) 221-1220 or [[bursar]].

Students withdrawing from all classes or below half-time and whose financial aid has not been confirmed will be responsible for all charges still owed to William & Mary. Financial Aid may not be disbursed if the student is no longer enrolled. Contact the Financial Aid Office at (757) 221-2420 before withdrawing from all classes or below half-time.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a service member under the assumption that the service member will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. If a service member withdraws on or before the 60 percent portion of the period, the service member will no longer be eligible for the full amount of military TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the policy of the Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), William & Mary will return any unearned military TA funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60 percent portion of the period for which they were provided.  The following return schedule may be adjusted based on the number of days in the semester for the student's course of study.  The following schedule is based on a semester of 109 days.

  • Day 1-10 - percentage returned 100%
  • Day 11-20 - percentage returned 80%
  • Day 21-31 - percentage returned 70%
  • Day 32-42 - percentage returned 60%
  • Day 34-53 - percentage returned 50%
  • Day 54-64 - percentage returned 40%
  • After Day 65 - percentage returned 0%

Any unearned military TA funds will be returned directly to the military branch, not to the service member. The final calculation of the return rests with the military branch awarding the funds and may result in the service member owing a balance to W&M. If the service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, W&M will work with the service member to identify a solution that will not result in a student debt for the returned TA portion. If a service member withdraws after the 60 percent portion of the term, all military TA will be considered earned.

Federal Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid regulations require that student's give the university permission to pay miscellaneous charges (i.e. student health charges, library fines, parking fines, etc.) or prior term charges owed by the student from current term Title IV federal funds. The Federal Financial Aid Release form must be submitted to allow our office to apply aid to these charges. Failure to submit this form to the Bursar's Office may result in a restrictive hold on the student's account if these charges are past due. Download the FFA Release Form (pdf).

Refund Replacement Checks

A stop payment and reissue request form must be submitted to the Bursar's office to initiate the replacement of a refund check. Requests for replacement refund checks will not be processed until 14 calendar days after the date the check was issued. All replacement checks will be mailed to the student's CSU box, GSH box, or the local mailing address. Complete the Stop Payment Request form.