W&M Washington Center Advisory Board members are ambassadors for William & Mary and the W&M Washington Center. They are fully-informed about what is going on at the university and the Center and are able to articulate that to others. They reach out to other alumni/families/friends to engage them with the university and the Center.
Board members are advocates who share their W&M passion with others, marketing the Center and its need for financial support.
Board members are “askers” who help identify potential donors and sponsors and solicit alumni/families/friends as speakers, site visit hosts, internship providers, mentors and career advisors in our Study in DC opportunities.
- At least $5,000 total annual gift to the designated fund/s established for the Center
- Gifts are made and accounted for during the fiscal year that starts July 1 of their first year.
- A Board member who begins a term on July 1, 2020 would have their first gift “due” by the end of the 2021 Fiscal Year (July 1, 2020-June 30, 2021)
- The Board Development Committee is available to discuss extenuating circumstances.
Board members are expected to:
- Attend two in-person meetings annually (likely at the Center and every other fall on campus, generally aligned with Homecoming)
- Participate in regular Board and committee conference calls
- Participate in at least one fundraising event at the Center annually (for example, Mug Night)
- Regularly attend DC-area Alumni Engagement events, representing and promoting the Center
- Serve on at least one Board committee. Assignments will be determined by the committee chairs with input from the Board member. Committee work will entail periodic in-person or telephonic meetings outside of Board meetings. It will also entail recruiting non-Board members to serve in an auxiliary role.
- Members of the Board shall hold office for a regular term of three years.
- Members are eligible to serve three consecutive terms.
- All regular terms for Board Members begin on July 1 and end on June 30 of the following year.
- Executive officers and committee chairs shall hold their positions for two years.