Board Member Expectations
William & Mary Washington Center Advisory Board members are ambassadors for the university and the W&M Washington Center. They are fully-informed about what is going on at the university and the Center and are able to articulate that to others. They reach out to other alumni/families/friends to engage them with the university and the Center.
Board members are advocates who share their W&M passion with others, marketing the Center and its need for financial support.
Board members are “askers” who help identify potential donors and sponsors and solicit alumni/families/friends as speakers, site visit hosts, internship providers, mentors and career advisors in our Study in D.C. opportunities.
- At least $5,000 total annual gift to the designated fund/s established for the Center.
- Gifts are made and accounted for during the fiscal year that starts July 1 of their first year.
- The Board Development Committee is available to discuss extenuating circumstances.
Board members are expected to:
- Attend 4 in-person meetings annually (see calendar for specifics).
- Board members should attend all meetings in-person, unless the meeting itself is virtual
- Participate in at least two additional Center events annually (to specifically include any fundraisers).
- Represent the Center/Board by attending (and presenting when appropriate) at least one W&M event beyond the Washington Center.
- Serve on at least one Board Working Group over your term/s.
- Members of the Board shall hold office for a regular term of three years.
- Members are eligible to serve three consecutive terms.
- All regular terms for Board Members begin on July 1 and end on June 30 of the following year.
- Executive officers and committee chairs shall hold their positions for two years.