Cycling is a lot of fun, but, like any athletic activity, there is always an inherent risk. In order to join us on our group rides, we ask that you please read and sign the agreement below. Waivers will have to be renewed each year at the start of the fall semester to maintain current records. Both electronic copies and paper copies are available. Paper copies can be dropped off or mailed to the Parking & Transportation office, or scanned and sent to [[jkeeter]].
In consideration of my acceptance to engage in the William & Mary Bike Alliance Group Rides, I do hereby release The College of William & Mary, its officers, directors, employees, and agents (“the College”) from responsibility for:
- Any and all injuries caused by the negligence, recklessness, or intentional acts of myself and/or any third parties. My waiver of personal injury does not include injury caused by the negligence, recklessness, or intentional acts of the College.
- Any and all property damage that may occur while I participate in the Bicycle Alliance. My property damage waiver includes all property damage, including that caused by the negligence, recklessness, or intentional acts of myself, third parties, and/or the College.
I hereby acknowledge that my participation is strictly voluntary, and that by signing this document I knowingly assume all risks associated with my participation in the Bicycle Alliance. I agree to stop and request assistance if I experience any symptoms such as, but not limited to, dizziness, excessive fatigue, and shortness of breath, pain, or any other conditions which would make it difficult or unsafe to continue. I further agree to obey all vehicle and traffic laws, use proper safety equipment, and follow the instructions of the Bicycle Alliance sponsors while participating in group rides. I attest that, to my knowledge, my bicycle and related equipment are in proper working order.
Assumption of RiskI fully appreciate the nature and extent of the risks involved in bicycle riding. Participation in a bicycling event carries with it certain inherent risks that cannot be eliminated regardless of the care taken. These risks include, but are not limited to:
- Collisions and sideswiping by motor vehicles and careless drivers
- Collisions with another bicyclist
- Cuts, scrapes, bruises, concussions, and musculoskeletal injuries
- Falls from the bicycle
- Failure of other bicyclists or vehicles to properly observe traffic signals or laws
- Unanticipated equipment failure or malfunction
- Injuries and illness resulting from the effects of weather, including hot or cold temperatures, high winds, humidity, and rain
- The effects of uneven or wet road surfaces and of gravel or debris present on the road surface
Representations Concerning Health
With full knowledge of the risks inherent to bicycling, I represent that I am in good health and do not have any condition which will interfere with my ability to participate in the William & Mary Bicycle Alliance or endanger my health in connection with the Bicycle Alliance. I acknowledge valid and current insurance to cover any injury or damage. I authorize, but do not obligate, a College Bicycle Alliance representative to seek emergency medical treatment for me in the event of an accident or illness that occurs during my participation in the Bicycle Alliance, even in the event that I am unconscious or otherwise cannot consent. I attest that if I have recently suffered an illness, injury, or impairment, or have any concerns about my ability to participate in the Bicycle Alliance, I should have or did consult a physician prior to my participation. I further take full responsibility for consulting a physician if I experience any doubt as to my ability to successfully and safely complete the Bicycle Alliance event once it has begun.