The German Studies Program at W&M offers courses at all levels of German language, literature, philosophy, and culture. Several courses are taught in English translation.
The German Studies Program at William & Mary is particularly strong in
- Post-War German literature, cinema, and culture
- German Cinema and Film and Media Studies
- 18th, 19th and 20th century German literature and history
- The Weimar Republic and the rise of Nazism
- German critical theory from the 18th century to the present
- Responses to the Nazi Genocide of the Jews 1933-1945
- History of Science and Literature
Our undergraduate program includes language instruction at every level. You may major or minor in German Studies. Our faculty closely mentor students and provide opportunities for research in the field.
To broaden face-to-face cultural understanding, we encourage you to study abroad. We offer several different options for summer and semester/full-year study.
Our German Language House gives you the chance to live and practice speaking with other German students. Our German Language House International Fellow is a native speaker from Münster and leads conversation, tutoring, and cultural events.