Nathan Altshuler was the founder of W&M's Department of Anthropology. Every year, in his honor, we award scholarships to support promising summer research of our rising seniors. We usually have about $2000 - $2500 to distribute, and often divide this amount among the most highly qualified proposals.
Eligibility is limited to rising seniors who are declared Anthropology majors.
We will announce the deadline for applications in the Spring semester. Applications should be sent to the Undergraduate Director via email. An application consists of
- Transcript of coursework (unofficial version is fine)
- Two recommendation letters, preferably from Anthropology faculty
- A proposal no longer than 5 double-spaced pages (it's important not to exceed this limit). The proposal itself should include:
- Research question or problem that engages with themes or theories of significance in Anthropology
- Previous studies or background literature on the topic in question, with citations
- Methods to be employed
- Schedule and budget for the proposed research
You can apply for other research funding through the Charles Center.