The mission of Shanti Garudasana ("Peaceful Eagle" in Sanskrit) is to provide a vibrant and substantive yoga training experience for a selective group of W&M students, faculty and staff. Graduates from our program will have developed the skills and confidence to provide intelligently sequenced, safe and well-rounded classes. They will be able to effectively integrate principles of pedagogy, communication and cultural sensitivity in a manner that honors both the rich traditions and modern science of yoga philosophy/practice, mindfulness and flourishing. While one of the goals of Shanti Garudasana is to develop mature and talented yoga teachers to then serve the W&M community at the new Integrative Wellness Center and Campus Recreation, it is the intention of the school to create lifelong role models and ambassadors for optimal yoga education and practice.
The training will be lead by the following faculty:
- Cindy Crace, E-RYT 500, CYT, Yoga School Director
- Patti DeBlass, E-RYT 200, RYT 500, Lead Trainer
- Jenny Dunfee, RYT 500, Anatomy Instructor
Scholarships for William & Mary Students
The Shanti Garudasna 200 RYT Training Program offers full and partial scholarships for a select number of William & Mary students. Students can apply for a scholarship by submitting an application on this site. All other applicants should submit an application for the 200 RYT program through Shanti Garudasana's Shanti Garudasana Website.
All training weekends include Friday 5:30-9pm, Saturday 9am-7pm, and Sunday 9am-3pm at the Tyler McCleod Wellness Center, Studios A& B.
- September 18-20
- October 23-25
- November 6-8
- January 22-24
- February 12-14
- March 19-21
- April 9-11
Admissions Requirements for W&M Students
- Applicants should be 18 years of age or full-time W&M students.
- Applicants should have a regular yoga practice.
- Applicants should submit a completed application. W&M students who are not offered a scholarship after being interviewed will be offered the $2,000 rate for training.
- All applicants will be required to complete an admissions interview and practical skills will also be assessed. Dates TBD. Official entrance into the program will be at the discretion of Shanti Garudasana faculty.
- If any part of the training is missed, the only way to make it up will be by attending the same weekend the following year.
- If more than one weekend is missed, participants must re-enroll in the following year's training and re-take all weekends. If W&M students on a full-scholarship miss two weekends and have to re-enroll the following year, they will have to pay the W&M student rate of $2,000 the second time through.
- Completion of all of the training sessions and practical teaching hours (totaling 200 hours).
- Completion of asana cards for all asanas learned in the training, and revisions made as needed (this assignment will be explained in depth during the first training weekend).
- A passing score on the in-house final assessment.
- Maintenance of a personal yoga and meditation practice.
- W&M Students: Full and partial scholarships will be awarded to a certain number of full-time students. The number of scholarships awarded for the 2019-2020 training program has not yet been determined (If a student applies but is not awarded a scholarship, the W&M student rate is $2,000).
- W&M Faculty/Staff: $2,200
- Non-W&M full-time college students
*Non-W&M full-time college students are eligible for a rate of $2,000. A limited number of these spots will be given and reference letters from the students' Campus Recreation or Recreational Sports departments will be required.
Need to do a payment plan? We'll work with you. Just contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
W&M Students: March 1, 2020 (for scholarship applications), September 1, 2020 (student rate)
Non-W&M Students: September 1, 2020, Please complete the 200 RYT course application on the Shanti Garudasana website. Full payment required upon registration unless using the pay by month option. Participants who pay in full will receive 10% off the total cost of training. A non-refundable $250 deposit is required to reserve your spot in the course.
- History of Yoga
- Yoga Ethics
- Anatomy and Standing Asanas
- Subtle Energy and Philosophy
- Planning a Class and Back Bends
- Pranayama and Meditation
- Student Check-In Teaching Tools
- Forward Bends and Hip-Openers
- Specialized Teaching
- Yoga Business
The Shanti Garudasana Yoga school follows the Yoga Alliance 200-hour standards for teachers training.
- Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques, by Mark Stephens
- Yoga Anatomy, 2nd Ed. by Leslie Kaminoff
This program has limited space. *Priority will go to William & Mary students, who will be interviewed after submitting an application. Please allow 3-5 business days for a response.