We want your transition into our community to be as smooth as possible. Please review the following information about your employment eligibility, activating your IT account and email, and our benefits.
Complete the I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility Verification)
- On or before your start date, complete your portion of the I-9 at www.newi9.com.
- Enter employer code 14621 and complete the requested fields.
- Consult the list of acceptable documents within the linked webpage.
- Bring original and unexpired copies of your selected documents to your department on the first day of work.
- Your department will either complete Section 2 or direct you to the University Human Resources at Young House for assistance.
- If you do not complete the I-9 process by your third work day, you may not continue working.
- For remote I-9 only: Please use the secure Box widget below to upload your documents. Please [[AskHR,contact UHR for remote I-9 eligibility]].
Activate Your Account/W&M Email
The first step towards establishing yourself at William & Mary is to activate your W&M Username and create a password. The W&M Username is the key to access most online and electronic resources on campus. Along with a secure password, it becomes your online identity at the university. You will receive a notification to your application email address with details to activate your account. Detailed directions on completing this process can be found on IT's Account Activation page.
Activating your account is a three step process.
Step 1: Get your Banner ID Number
A Banner ID number is a nine digit number beginning with 93 (ex. 930123456). You will be notified of your Banner ID number via the email address used in your application for employment.
Step 2: Get your W&M Username
Once you have your Banner ID, you can get your W&M Username. It is usually - but not always - the first initial of your first name, first initial of your middle name (if you have one), and then your last name (Example: tgriffin).
Step 3: Get your Password
You are close to completing the activation process. Now you just need to set up your password. A link will be sent to your application email. You will only have 24 hours to use the link. If necessary, you may request another link to be sent to you by going through this process again.
After you have your Banner ID, W&M Username, and Password
Keep in mind that your password can be updated an any point, but it must be updated annually. IT will send reminder emails as the date approaches. Use the link on the IT Homepage to access the Change Password system or go directly to www.changepassword.wm.edu/wm.
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 201, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Review Your Benefits
To better understand the many benefits available, review our benefits page.
State Agency Transfers
If you are transferring from a current state agency, please ensure that you and your releasing agency coordinate your start and end dates with [[AskHR, University Human Resources]] to reduce the likelihood of a break in service or loss of health coverage. If you are entering a professional or executive position, please be aware that your leave balance from a previous state agency does not transfer automatically.