What is Classification & Compensation (C&C)?
Classification & Compensation strives to maintain a comprehensive and competitive compensation plan for W&M and VIMS. We maintain a program that is fair and competitive to support the unique nature of our business, develop career opportunities, and professional career growth. Our Classification & Compensation professionals:
- Serve as the institutional source of expertise on all classification and compensation matters pertaining to staff employees;
- Collaborate with managers and leaders in the resolution of classification and compensation challenges;
- Establish and maintain the university’s classification and compensation structures;
- Develop position descriptions that document essential job functions, as well as the knowledge, skills, and abilities;
- Evaluate positions for the appropriate classification and compensation levels while complying with applicable laws and regulations;
- Establish/update classification structures and compensation practices;
- Advise departments about their positions;
- Evaluate internal equity;
- Participate in market/salary surveys to benchmark the university's salaries against peer institutions and industries to remain competitive.
The position description is a wheel with many spokes; it is used for recruitment, selection, training, performance evaluation, and determining compensation. It is also the official record of the duties assigned to the position.
Start with a request to create a new or update an existing positions in PeopleAdmin, the university's position management and applicant tracking system.
Additional Areas of Support
- Temp Pay approvals
- Salary Surveys participation, submissions
- Market studies – “what is this position worth?”
- Independent Contractor Evaluations
- Data clean up and corrections