To determine if you are a resident or non-resident for tax purposes, first take the Substantial Presence Test. Then, if you are a resident for tax purposes, see the information below.
Federal tax forms must be filed by April 17, 2018.
Virginia state tax forms must be filed by May 1, 2018. Other states' deadlines vary.
If you are a resident for tax purposes and you earned income during the previous year, you will need to file federal and state taxes. Depending on your income, you will be required to complete and file:
- Federal tax forms 1040EZ or if you itemize deductions, 1040 (pdf), and additional supporting forms.
- Virginia State tax forms 760 (pdf), or 760PY (pdf) if you lived in VA for less than half of the tax year.
- Tax forms for other states, if you lived or worked there.
1. Online Tax Programs
Online tax preparation programs (such as TurboTax, H&R Block, etc.) ask you questions and completes tax forms fo you. They also typically allow electronic filing. Simple returns are sometimes free, though these programs typically do charge fees. There are often separate fees for federal and state taxes.
Note: If your income is below a certain level, many of these programs are free through Free File.
2. Williamsburg VITA Tax Assistance Volunteers
The VITA Tax-Aide Program is a free service of volunteers trained by the IRS who help older and low to moderate income earners file federal and state taxes. Other locations are also available.
3. AARP Tax Assistance Volunteers
The AARP Tax-Aide Program is a free service of volunteers trained by the IRS who help older and low-moderate income earners file federal and state taxes. There are several locations in Williamsburg and Gloucester.
For the AARP service you must bring with you the following documents:
- Passport, I-94 record
- Social Security card (if you have one)
- W-2, 1099 (if applicable), 1042-S (if applicable), 1098-T (if applicable)
- Receipts for any deductions you want to claim
- Bank account information: bring your checkbook, if you have one, as this will have your routing number. Otherwise, you should be able to find your bank's routing number online.
- Copy of your previous year's federal and state tax returns (if you filed taxes)
4. Professional Preparers
You can also use professional tax preparers (such as H&R Block, JacksonHewitt Tax Service, Liberty Tax Service, etc.) to file your taxes. These are typically more costly than do-it-yourself software but can be beneficial if you have very complicated tax situations, or prefer to meet with someone in-person. Or, you can make an appointment with an accountant. Accountants typically have more detailed expertise, but will typically be more expensive than a tax service.
Virginia tax appointments will be held at the Reves Center where you can get assistance with your state taxes. To attend an appointment, you must bring your completed federal tax return. Information about appointment times will be sent through the international listservs.
The Reves Center for International Studies cannot assist with tax filing or tax advising. For liability reasons, we cannot help you prepare your forms nor answer tax questions.