- Semester Study Abroad Scholarship
Need-based awards for students participating in any fall, spring, or academic year study abroad program. Donors make it possible for the Global Education Office to award scholarships.
Reves Summer Scholarship
Need-based awards for students participating in W&M-sponsored summer programs. Donors make it possible for the Global Education Office to award the Reves Center Scholarships.
Reves Winter Scholarship
Need-based awards for students participating in W&M-sponsored winter programs. Donors make it possible for the Global Education Office to award the Reves Center Scholarships.
Chinese Government Scholarship
For students studying at an eligible Chinese university
Merit and need-based awards for study in particular Arabic-speaking countries and particular countries in the Indian Ocean region.
GEO Griffin Guarantee Scholarship [Must apply by the FALL Gilman Deadline to Qualify]
An assured $4,000 scholarship for W&M students who meet specific criteria. Students must receive a Federal Pell Grant, be eligible to apply to the Gilman Scholarship, apply to the Reves Summer Scholarship, and apply to a W&M Summer faculty-led program. Students who do not receive the Gilman Scholarship are guaranteed to receive at least $4,000 towards their W&M Summer faculty-led program.
Need-based scholarship for Art and Art History majors for study abroad in Florence, Italy. Preference will be given to Art History concentrators in their Junior or Senior year.
Merit and need-based awards for study in the Republic of Korea. Preference will be given to students participating in the W&M Exchange - Yonsei University program.
Merit and need-based awards for study in Norway or other Scandinavian countries. Preference will be given to students studying in Norway.
Meyers Stern Scholarship
Merit based scholarship awarded to a student studying Judaic Studies in Israel or other location based upon approval from Judaic Studies.
Need-based scholarship for undergraduate students who qualify for Federal financial aid. Preference will be given to students studying abroad for a semester or academic year.
Robert M. and Rebecca W. Gates Scholarships
Merit-based awards for outstanding students with a declared major in International Relations, Global Studies or Africana Studies.
Merit-based award for study at particular institutions in the U.K., with a preference for year-long study
Merit-based grants for up to $2000 for students participating in the W&M Vilnius program over the summer.
Zachary James Vaughan Memorial Scholarship
Need-based award for a student committed to public service and cross-cultural understanding who is studying abroad for a semester.
Other William & Mary Scholarships
Third Party Provider Scholarships
Each of the following third party providers offers their own scholarships for students going on their programs. For information regarding deadlines and specific scholarship application information, please visit their scholarship pages.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
- Academy of International Business Southeast Scholarships Undergraduate, Graduate and PhD Candidates involved in Asia based study abroad programs can apply. The deadline has been extended to October 15th for the 2015-2016 application cycle. The total amount is $1,000.
- Ashley Soulé Conroy Foundation ($3000 for semester program, student must have at least 3.0 GPA and completed 30 hours of coursework)
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship (up to $5000, additional $3000 possible if studying a Critical Language)
For Pell Grant recipients only. Preference for non-traditional students and non-traditional study abroad locations. Semester and summer scholarships available.
- Benjamin Franklin Travel Grant ($1500)
For students enrolled in a double major program combining a major/certificate in French and a major in another discipline. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Bridging Scholarships
For study in Japan. $2500 for semester length, $4000 for academic year
- British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association (BUTEX) Scholarships
For semester or year-long study at BUTEX affiliated universities in the UK
- David L. Boren Scholarship Nationally competitive scholarship that focuses on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study that are critical to U.S. national security, broadly defined, and underrepresented in study abroad. Intended for long-term study abroad and students commit to seek work in the federal government for a specified amount of time after graduation.
For study in Germany
- Diversity Abroad
For students interested in issues affecting diverse students abroad
- Elie Wiesel Foundation in Ethics ($500-$5000)
Essay contest focused on combating indifference, intolerance and injustice through international dialogue and youth-focused programs that promote acceptance, understanding and equality.
- Foundation for Global Scholars ($500-$2500, $1000-$2000 for travel)
- Freeman Asia ($3,000-$7,000)
- Fund for Education Abroad ($5000-$10,000)
- Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) Rainbow Scholarship ($5000)
For American LBGT study abroad students
- Global Studies Foundation Grants ($1000)
- Go Overseas ($500 - $15,000)
- Golden Key Scholarship ($1000)
- Harriet Irsay Scholarship ($1000)
Preference given to American students of Polish heritage, open only to certain majors, check website for listing
- Institute for Humane Studies ($2000-$12,000)
- Inter Exchange Foundation ($2500-$10,000)
- International Student (up to $4000)
Travel video contest that requires an original short movie.
- Italia Rail ($1000)
Scholarship award for students studying abroad for semester only
- Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Scholarships (up to $10,000)
(formerly AIEJ) For study in Japan
- Japan-America Society of Washington DC (JASWDC) Scholarship (up to $5,000)
For study in Japan
- Morgan Stanley Scholarships for Study in Japan ($7500)
For juniors and seniors with an interest in economics and international finance
- National Italian American Foundation ($2000-$12,000)
For Italian Americans and any student interested in Italian studies with a 3.5 or higher GPA planning to study in Italy
- PanHellenic Scholarship Foundation For students of PanHellenic descent
- Pimsleur Approach Study Abroad Scholarship Contest ($1000)
Essay based contest (500 to 1000 words)
- Project GO
For ROTC students to study critical languages domestically and abroad via a network of 24 participating universities nationwide.
- Rotary Club Scholarship
For academic study from one to four years. Unrestricted in terms of destination.
- Sara's Wish Scholarship Fund
For women on non-traditional study abroad programs
- Sons of Norway Scholarships
For study in Norway
- Student Youth Travel Foundation
- Swedish Scholarships
For study in Sweden
- Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship For women and members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service, seniors only
- Toshizo Watanabe Study Abroad Scholarship Program Provides financial assistance to American students studying abroad in Japan for semester or academic year.
- World Travel Scholarships
For students who receive a Pell Grant and reside or attend school in one fo the specified metropolitan areas indicated on the website
Study Abroad Scholarship Search Engines