History

Inaugurated in 1989 with an endowment from Wendy Reves, the Reves Center for International Studies draws its inspiration from the ideas of publisher, world government advocate, and philanthropist Emery Reves.

His 1945 book The Anatomy of Peace begins with these words: "Nothing can distort the true picture of conditions and events in this world more than to regard one's own country as the center of the universe, and to view all things solely in their relationship to this fixed point."

Accordingly, our goal at the Reves Center is to encourage students, faculty, and community members to engage and learn from perspectives that are different from their own.

Today the Reves Center is home to the office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs, the Global Education Office and the Office of International Students, Scholars, and Programs.

It continues to enhance international education at William & Mary through global engagement of the community, the advancement of internationally-focused scholarship and initiatives, study abroad programs and support for international students and scholars.

Papers of Wendy and Emery Reves, including correspondence, photographs, news clippings, and other materials by and about the creators can be found in the Wendy and Emery Reves Papers collection at William & Mary's Swem Library.