Some 3rd party firewalls interfere with the authentication process. To troubleshoot, you could disable the firewall software and try connecting again. If the connection works, you need to modify your firewall settings to allow printing with your firewall enabled.
To delete or cancel a print job
- Click the Start button.
- Select Printers from the Start menu.
- A window will appear listing the available printers. Look for a printer icon with the name of the building where you are located. Double click the icon.
- The print jobs in the queue will be listed. If a job is pending and you are specified as the owner, you can cancel it, removing it from the queue.
- Select the desired print job and press the delete key. If the print job has already begun printing, press the Cancel Job button on the printer (printing ceases after two or more printed pages). Note: a deleted/canceled print job will be included in the total pages printed; contact the TSC to request a credit.
To save paper (print multiple pages to one sheet)
- All lab printers have the ability to print multiple pages to a single sheet of paper. This is useful if you wish to preview a document or wish to save paper by printing two or more pages to one sheet of paper.
- Open the print dialog box of your application by clicking Print from the File menu.
- Look for a "Pages per sheet" option in the dialog box or by choosing the Properties button.
- Duplex printing is only available on the first floor of the Swem Library. First, you must set the properties of the printer to a duplexing mode. Choose Properties >> Finishing >> Check "Print on both sides." The printer names for duplex printing are: SwemICW (West side) or SwemICE (East side)*
Print job is not printing
- Check the printer to be sure that it is on, has paper, and is online.
- If all of these are true, turn the printer off for about 5 seconds and then turn it back on again.
- If this fails, call 757-221-HELP for assistance.
A message says the printer is not set up
- Click Run from the Start menu, type \\print3 in the "Open" text box, and then click OK.
- In the "print3" dialog box, double click the icon of your lab room (e.g., double click the Mort241 icon if you are in Morton, Room 241, the Swem2nd icon if you are in Swem lab, 2nd floor).
- Click Yes and the printer should be setup, indicated by the display of an printer queue box for your lab.
Toner is low (print jobs are faded or not dark enough)
- Remove the toner cartridge, stir the toner by moving the cartridge in a circular manner (10 times or so) and replace.
- If stirring the toner does not work and you are in Swem, go to the circulation desk and ask for the toner to be replaced; otherwise, call 757-221-4357 (HELP) and report it.
- Until the toner is replaced, turn the printer off and leave a "toner low" note; then print to another available printer within the lab or to a printer in.
- Open the printer and pull out jammed paper (try top, bottom, and back of printer for access to all areas).
- If this fails or no jammed paper is found, turn the printer off for 5 seconds or more and then turn on.
- If this fails see the "Sending a print job to another lab" instructions below.
Sending a print job to another lab
- If all else fails you can send your print job to another lab.
- To select the most convenient lab, view the lab locations.
- Click Run from the Start menu, type \\print3.campus.wm.edu in the "Open" text box, and then click OK.
- In the "print3" dialog box, double click the icon of your chosen lab.
- Click Yes and the computer will be setup to print in your chosen lab, indicated by the display of an print3 printer queue box for that lab.
- Click Printers from the Start menu, right click the chosen lab icon, and click Set as Default Printer in the shortcut menu; all print jobs will then be directed to the printer in your chosen lab.
Printing PDF files from Blackboard
- PDF files printed from Blackboard sometimes come out distorted or print as mirror images.
- If this happens, click "Print as image" in the print dialog box that creates the print job.