The Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement utilizes TribeCareers (powered by Symplicity) to share jobs, internships, and externships with all undergraduate William & Mary students; graduate Arts & Sciences, School of Education, and Virginia Institute of Marine Science students; and alumni. Check out our guide to posting on TribeCareers (PDF).
Looking to engage with Master of Business Administration and Master of Science in Business Analytics students or law students? Share your opportunities with their respective schools' career center:
Recruiters should adhere to the NACE Principles for Ethical Professional Practice when recruiting at William & Mary. In our effort to maintain the integrity of recruiting, the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement advises employers to review our job posting policies. Please contact us with any questions.
William & Mary students recognize internships as a way to explore career options, develop skills through practical work experience in a wide range of occupational fields, and contribute to the community and are eager to apply their skills and talents to an internship with your company or organization. Employers find that hosting internships is a great way to identify and mentor young talent as well as to receive assistance with daily activities or special projects. Internships should be supervised and mentored and interns should be making quantifiable contributions to the organization.
Need help starting an internship program? Our staff is here to assist you. Additionally, check out the Virginia Talent + Opportunity Partnership (VTOP) Employer Readiness Toolkit: A Blueprint to Develop Quality Internship Opportunities for Virginia's Talent Pipeline (PDF).
Federal law requires payment of interns unless the internship satisfies criteria (PDF) outlined by the U.S. Department of Labor. William & Mary cannot determine whether any internship satisfies the Department of Labor criteria. However, to help ensure that W&M students are provided with beneficial internships, W&M requires all employers posting unpaid internships to certify that they have reviewed and will abide by the Department of Labor criteria established in the FLSA.
College Policy on Internship Credit
Qualified students, usually in their junior or senior year, may receive credit from cooperating academic departments for an approved internship that provides an opportunity to apply and expand knowledge in the student's field of study. To qualify, internships should be designed to provide a structured learning experience that is completed under expert supervision. A student needs to navigate the college's credit approval process in advance of an internship's start date. Requiring a student to earn credit for an internship may cost the student additional tuition for the course credits.
Does your organization have a project that needs to get done? Consider posting a micro-internship (a short-term, professional project) through our partnership with Parker Dewey. Parker Dewey offers sample projects that you can customize, or you can create your own project.
Registration is required and there is no posting fee. Students receive 90% of the payment while Parker Dewey retains the remaining 10% to cover expenses.
The W&M Externship Program is a collaborative effort between the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement and engaged employers to generate positive job shadowing experiences for W&M students. Externships typically last one to two days over winter break, and provide students with an inside look at a given industry. Additionally, students gain insight into networking etiquette, as well as demonstrating their experiences as part of their professional story. Please contact Lisa Randolph, Assistant Director, Experiential Learning, for more information.
Part-Time or Seasonal Jobs
Part-time jobs are temporary and require a person to work less than 40 hours per week. During an academic semester, these positions are typically 20 hours a week or less. Seasonal jobs recur around the same time every year and may be full or part-time.
To recruit students for off-campus part-time and seasonal jobs (excluding unpaid internships), such as yard work, babysitters, tutors, etc., we ask that you complete a job request form. The Office of Career Development and Professional Engagement will post your position to TribeCareers, our career services management database. Rather than having you create and manage an employer profile and job vacancies, the Office of Career Development and Professional Engagement will now manage these for you.