Are there any transfer application considerations due to the COVID-19 closures?
We are still moving forward with reviewing all transfer applications and intend for decisions to be emailed no later than May 1. In response to COVID-19 precautions and to better assist during this unprecedented time, if you haven’t yet submitted your Mid-Term Report (for currently enrolled students only) and/or College Report, we hope to help provide a solution. We will accept these electronic versions of the Mid-Term Report & College Report forms to remove the need for in-person contact or specialized equipment (such as printers or fax machines). We suggest saving the attached forms with your personal information, and then emailing directly to your current professors (Mid-Term Report) or college official(s) who have access to your academic and disciplinary records (College Report) and they can then complete their portions electronically and forward directly to us at [[transfer, Undergraduate Admission Transfer]].

If you are unable to obtain an official HS transcript at this time, we will accept an unofficial copy emailed to us at [[transfer, Undergraduate Admission Transfer]] until an official can be obtained.

While many institutions nationwide are currently closed to students on-campus, professors and staff are, for the most part, still able to assist remotely. Our deadline currently remains March 28 for all supplemental information, however if you need additional time or have extenuating circumstances, please email us as we strive to be as understanding as possible during this time.
How does William & Mary define a transfer student?

A transfer student is anyone who wishes to enroll in an undergraduate degree program at William & Mary and has attended another college or university after graduating from high school. If you have earned only advanced placement credit or college credit while attending high school, you are not considered a transfer student.

If I already have a bachelor's degree, can I earn a second bachelor's degree from William & Mary?     

No. University policy prohibits the awarding of a second baccalaureate degree.

When are your application deadlines for transfers?

The deadline for Fall semester is March 1 and the deadline for Spring semester is November 1. Applications are typically available August 1 for students interested in transferring the following year.

When are transfer applicants notified of admission decisions?

If you apply for the Fall semester, decision letters will be emailed by May 1. If you apply for the Spring semester, decision letters will be emailed by December 10.

How many students apply to William & Mary as transfer students?

The number varies each year; however, we usually receive around 970 transfer applications for Fall and 250 transfer applications for Spring. William and Mary enrolls approximately 200 transfer students for the Fall and 70 transfer students for the Spring.

Does William & Mary accept the Common Application?

Yes. The only way to apply to William and Mary is with the Transfer Common Application, but a supplemental transfer form is also required.

Do you require a high school transcript or test scores?

Yes, a high school transcript is required to apply as a transfer student. If you have a GED, you will need to make a copy of the certificate for your file. If you have completed less than one full year of college course work when you apply, you must submit SAT or ACT scores unless you have been out of high school for more than five years. Test scores listed on the high school transcript will be accepted.

Do you have a minimum GPA requirement?

The admission committee prefers to see academic achievement at the 3.5 level or higher, but considers other factors such as strength of curriculum and number of credit hours. If a course has been repeated for a grade, both the original grade and the grade earned in the repeated course will be reviewed.

How do you determine a student's GPA if he or she has attended more than one college or university?

The admission committee will review each individual cumulative GPA from each institution attended.  The admission committee will look at factors such as dates of attendance and grade trends when reviewing multiple college transcripts.  

What type of college classes are you looking for from your applicants?

General education requirements (math, natural sciences, social sciences, history, English, languages, etc.) offered at your current school are the most helpful for us to review and are more likely to be transferable. The admission committee looks for a well-rounded curriculum to ensure a student's success in William & Mary's liberal studies environment. The admission committee also looks closely at the strength of the curriculum. For example, we would rather see a Calculus  or Statistics level math class than Algebra, Math for Liberal Studies, Contemporary Math or Arithmetic. In relation to the sciences, we would rather see Biology with lab, Chemistry with lab or Physics with lab, as opposed to Science for Liberal Studies (no lab) or Physics in our World Today (no lab).

When will my credits be evaluated from my transcripts and who will evaluate the credits?

The Office of the Registrar will complete transfer credit evaluations after a student is admitted to the College. We do not evaluate transfer credits before a student is admitted. Most credit evaluations will be completed after students submit an enrollment deposit.  Study Abroad coursework will be evaluated through the Global Education Office located in the Reves Center for International Studies.

Can I apply to be part-time student?

Yes, you can apply to be a part-time (Flexible Degree Track) transfer student. You will provide an explanation in the "Additional Information" section of your transfer application explaining why you wish to be part-time. In determining whether part-time status is warranted, consideration will be given to the applicant's background. A part-time degree student must earn a minimum of 12 hours each year (two semesters and a summer term) and is limited to 10 credit hours the first semester at the College. More information on Flexible Degree Track status.

Is there a limit to the number of credits that can be transferred?

While there is no limit to the number of courses that may be transferred, William & Mary requires that at least 60 semester credits, including a minimum of 15 credits in the concentration, be earned in residence at the university in Williamsburg.

Are midterm or current grades required?

Yes. The Midterm Report is due no later than November 22 for students applying for Spring and March 28 for students applying for the Fall.  The midterm report should be faxed to 757.221.1242 or scan/email to [[transfer, Undergraduate Admission Transfer]].

Is a letter of recommendation required from a professor?

Although not required for completion of your file, we encourage you have a professor write a letter on your behalf.

If I am admitted as a transfer student, am I automatically admitted into my major?

Students do not transfer with a major; it must be officially declared through the Office of the University Registrar. The School of Business and the School of Education have their own application process.

Mason School of Business
Jennifer Dahnke
Assistant Director of Undergraduate Business Program
Miller Hall

School of Education
Dorothy Osborne
301 Monticello Ave.

Do you guarantee housing for transfer students?

Unfortunately, we do not guarantee housing for transfer students. Admitted transfer students may apply for on-campus housing online after they receive their letter of admission. Every year, there are at least 50 spaces available to accepted transfer students for the fall term. Given that many W&M students study away/study abroad in the spring term, historically, most accepted transfer students who have applied for housing for the spring term received a housing offer.

As a veteran, what do I need to know about applying or becoming a student at William & Mary?

William & Mary is pleased to waive the application fee for anyone who has served honorably in the armed forces of the United States. Please select Other Fee Waiver Request at the time of payment. The Veterans Society of William & Mary is a good resource providing information about admission, financial aid, housing and more. As questions arise about using your VA benefits, contact the Office of the University Registrar.