Join the celebration.
William & Mary celebrated the 330th anniversary of the awarding of the Royal Charter from King William III and Queen Mary II of England during the Charter Day Ceremony on February 10, 2023.
This year’s theme and visuals featured the famous 1782 "Frenchman's Map," housed in Swem Library's Special Collections Resource Center. Drafted by an unknown Frenchman probably stationed with Rochambeau's army, it provides a glimpse at the early footprint of Williamsburg and the university, demonstrating the interconnection between cultural groups that have shaped W&M and our nation's history. Noteworthy sites include the Brafferton, built 300 years ago as an "Indian School," and the recently discovered Bray School for enslaved and free Black children.
Charter Day Information
- Learn more about Charter Day
- Watch the 2023 Charter Day Ceremony
- Watch videos about Charter Day
- Browse photos of Charter Days past
- Read about Charter Day speakers and awards
- Get the latest news about Charter Day
- Read more about W&M's Royal Charter