Long-Term Disability Insurance
Executive | 12-Month Faculty & Professional | 9-Month Faculty & Professional
The long-term disability insurance plan is administered by The Standard and is provided by the university after employees complete one year of permanent employment. Full-time professional and professional faculty are eligible to enroll in LTD insurance after 12 months of permanent employment. Should employees become disabled, benefits would begin after six months (180 days) of disability.
Benefits are paid at the rate of 60% of your monthly salary (not to exceed $6,000.00 per month) less the amount of benefits from other sources (such as workers' compensation or Social Security Disability). The university pays 60% of the premium and employees would pay 40%.
The current cost is 0.171% of the annual salary divided by 12.
- Salary of $50,000/12 months=$4,166.67 salary per month x 0.171%
- $7.13 Total Premium
- 60% x $7.13 = $4.28 employer premium
- 40% x $7.13 = $2.85 employee premium or $1.43 per paycheck
Filing a Claim
The Standard and the university work together to support disabled employees. Our goal is to help employees get back to work as safely and as quickly as possible. If you find yourself sick, injured, unable to work, please reach out to UHR for assistance filing LTD claim.
Full-time professional and professional faculty are eligible to sign up after they have been employed for twelve months. If employees choose not to enroll, coverage is automatically waived.
- Long-Term Disability Enrollment/Waiver Form (pdf)
- Long-Term Disability Claim Packet (pdf)
- Long-Term Disability Certificate (pdf)
Changes Due to Employee Promotion or Job Status
- Classified/Operational to Professional/Professional Faculty: Coverage begins on the date of conversion to a professional position.
- Professional/Professional Faculty to Classified/Operational: Coverage stops at the end of the month in which the employee converts to a full-time classified/operational position.
Termination of Employment
Coverage stops at the end of the month in which the employee terminates employment. Long-term disability may not be continued after termination or retirement.