Biosafety/Recombinant DNA (IBC)
To request Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) approval for a project, go to the Protocol and Compliance Management system. Once logged in, you may create and submit a protocol for review. Please allow ample time for committee review of the protocol before the anticipated start date. Often, revisions are required and this will take additional time for the approval process.
Allow up to thirty days for the committee to process an IBC protocol submission.
PIs who apply for funding for projects must provide protocol number, title and date of approval to their Grant Manager prior to a grant fiscal account being established for use. PIs who do not submit annual renewals in a timely manner are subject to the fiscal account being frozen until annual review has been approved.
Note to VIMS Researchers: All compliance correspondence will be sent to your W&M email address.
For questions about IBC procedures or forms, please email [[jrpuzey,Josh Puzey]] or call 1-757-221-1608.
- Policy for Institutional Biosafety
- Protocol Submission Process:
- Protocol to Chair (pdf)
- Chair to Committee Members (pdf)
- NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules
- CDC/NIH Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) 4th EditionOccupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Standards for Bloodborne Pathogens
- Regulated Waste Management Program at William & Mary
- Online Compliance Training Programs completion required of all IBC members and PIs, staff, and students involved in animal or human subjects research.
- OLAW -- NIH Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare--contains basic documents concerning the protection of animal subjects
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
- AVMA Guidelines on Euthanasia (replaces 2000 Report on the Panel of Euthanasia) (pdf)
- Powerpoint presentations and training videos/DVDs (xls) currently available through the W&M Environment Health & Safety Office. If a training topic is not on the list, please inquire with EHS as to availability.