Per U.S. immigration law, a scholar in J-1 status may request an extension of his/her DS-2019 (and period of authorized stay) provided that all the following conditions apply:
- The scholar will not exceed the time limits for their J-1 category
- The academic host/department agrees to the extension
- The scholar has not been recommended for or granted a waiver of the Two year Home Residency Requirement for this J-1 program
- The scholar has not violated the terms of their J-1 status
- The extension must be approved prior to the expiration of the scholar's current program (as listed on their DS-2019 immigration document).
- Updated funding and health insurance may need to be submitted.
Requesting a J-1 Scholar DS-2019 Extension
- Login to iStart using your W&M ID and Password.
- Click on J-1 Scholar Services in the menu on the left side. Then, click on J-1 Scholar Extension Request and complete the form.
- Your host department will be contacted after you have completed the form to review and verify the request.
- Once your extension is approved you will receive an email with instructions on collecting the updated DS-2019.
The DS-2019s of any J-2s will be automatically extended with the extension of the J-1.