Especially given current pandemic conditions, we strongly encourage you to consider purchasing travel insurance for cancellation for any reasons. Here are a few things to remember:
- Many policies offer different options with varying flexibility. Please review the options carefully. We recommend travel insurance for cancellation for any reason as it will provide you the greatest flexibility.
- Most travel insurances include basic medical and accident coverage, baggage loss or delay, and trip cancellation, interruption or delay. Specialized insurance policies can vary from country to country, so remember to always make sure you know exactly what your policy covers.
- Make sure that your travel insurance is valid for the entire duration of your stay abroad.
- Bear in mind that if you need to make a claim, most travel insurance companies require you to have purchased the insurance policy before you leave on your trip or even within a certain timeframe after purchasing the ticket.
- If you need insurance to cover you for high-risk sports such as winter sports, scuba-diving or mountain climbing, please ensure that you mention this at the time of purchase and take out extra insurance cover if necessary.
Personal Property Insurance
For the possible of loss or damage to property while abroad, we strong recommend you ensure you have personal property insurance while you are abroad. Just as is the case on campus, W&M’s university insurance does not reimburse for personal property of others, including students, faculty and staff, and encourages you to ensure you have your own coverage. Coverage for personal property can usually be found under an individual's homeowner's policy. Students living on campus or studying abroad should purchase their own renter's insurance if not covered under their family's homeowners policy.