Who is eligible for the program?
The DC Summer Institutes are open to all current W&M undergraduate students—including 2022 graduates!
The primary cycle to submit a portfolio has passed. Additional time is currently being advertised for our Winter Cycle. Those dates can be found below.
Please contact Program Coordinator, [[ktwilson, Tyler Wilson]], if you have any questions.
The Application Process
The application consists of two major parts:
- The Online Application: You will be required to create a profile and to complete a personal information section, a personal statement and a description of the type of organization at which you would like to intern in Washington, DC (the more specific you can be, the better).
- For Winter Cycle Applicants: The portfolio submission will be due by 11:59pm on Monday, January 3, 2022
- One Required Online Letter of Recommendation: This required letter of recommendation MUST come from a William & Mary professor (exceptions for transfer students and freshmen will be determined on a case-by-case basis) who knows your academic work and your abilities. A second, optional, recommendation from a former employer, supervisor, mentor, etc., may also be included.
- For First-Year Students ONLY: While a letter of recommendation from a William & Mary professor is preferred, you may submit a high school teacher's recommendation instead if you do not yet know a William & Mary professor well enough to ask for a recommendation letter.
- For Winter Cycle Applicants: Recommendation letters are due by 11:59pm pm on Wednesday, January 5, 2022.
**PLEASE NOTE: ONLY ONCE you have submit your completed application will a link be sent electronically to your reference to complete. It is your responsibility to warn your reference in advance that this email will be arriving and to give him/her plenty of time to complete it. Your application is NOT COMPLETE until the recommendation is also submitted.**
- Priority Cycle (closed):
- Open: September 7, 2021
- Closed: October 20, 2021
- Winter Cycle (currently open):
- Open: December 1, 2021
- Close: January 3, 2022
- Student Portfolio Requirements:
- Personal Information
- Personal Statement
- Internships of Interest
- 1 Recommendation
For help preparing your resume, visit the Cohen Career Center.
All prospective and current students with disabilities have the right to request accommodations from Student Accessibility Services when applying for and/or participating in Study in DC opportunities.