Need-based travel funding is available to cover expenses associated with the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement sponsored activities, such as externships and career treks. Conferences and interviews are excluded from program travel funds. Funding is available to support airfare, train, bus, car rental (if of age), lodging (hotel), meals, and Career Development & Professional Engagement program fees, when applicable. There is no reimbursement of mileage for a rental or personal vehicle.
All applications and travel arrangements must be received by the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement a minimum of three weeks prior to departure.
Applications must be received a minimum of three weeks prior to departure unless otherwise specified. Please print and complete the application and bring it to the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement, or email your completed application to [[career]].
The awarding of funding is need based and determined on a rolling basis. There is no guarantee that a submitted application will be granted an award.
Download the Application (PDF)
Funding is available to cover travel expenses associated with the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement sponsored activities. Funding is allowable to support the following items:
- Airfare (basic economy only)
- Car rental (if of age)
- Lodging (hotel)
- Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement program fees
We encourage you to think thoroughly through any anticipated expenses prior to submitting for travel fund approval, as you will not be able to adjust approved expenses after the trip is completed.
- Mileage for a rental or personal vehicle
- First-class or business-class travel
- Home rental or home share accommodations (i.e. VRBO, Airbnb, etc.)
- Travel insurance
- Conferences and interviews
- Additional expenses incurred during the trip that were not pre-approved on the funding application
- Total funding is limited to $2000 throughout a student's enrollment at W&M.
- Rates for hotels must fall within the state per diem. View current per diem rates.
- Activities that will occur after you graduate from your degree program are ineligible for funding.
- Activities that have occurred prior to submitting an application are ineligible for funding.
- Travel funding is only applicable within 24 hours prior to the beginning of the official trip and ends the date the official trip ends.
Funds are distributed on a reimbursement model. Students must submit receipts for all expenditures within five days of the end of the event/trip.
Reimbursement Process (After the Trip)
- Scan all of your receipts for approved expenses
- Make sure each receipt has specific details (who, what, where, when, how many, payment method, etc.)
- Compose an email that states “The attached expenses are accurate, and I give Kelsey Brumfield at the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement permission to file for reimbursement on my behalf.”
- Attach all the scanned receipts to that e-mail and send it to [[kbrumfield]]
If you cancel or fail to show after being awarded travel fund money, you will not be reimbursed for any fees or and expenses incurred. Any cancellation fees must be paid by the student. It is your responsibility to check with Financial Aid to determine if program travel funds will impact your tax status.