Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

Common Questions

Don't worry, we've just about heard it all.

Why should I use a licensed vendor when I can find it cheaper online?

Working with a licensed vendor ensures that William & Mary is being represented in the best way possible on merchandise. When working with a licensed vendor, they have been vetted to use the correct marks in the correct colors and have agreed to uphold brand integrity. William & Mary Licensing Administration works hard with their partner IMG College Licensing (IMGCL) to ensure that there is a good mix of vendors to produce a variety of products at various price points. (i.e. there is something for everyone).

I am just using the words 'William & Mary', 'Tribe', or 'W&M' on an item, but am not using logos. Do I still need to use a licensed vendor?

Yes. Even text treatments are registered with the USPTO and are covered by the Licensing program. 

I am a campus entity but am using private funding to order my items. Do I still need to use a licensed vendor?

Yes. Licensed vendors are required regardless of funding source. If your order is over $5,000 you must also comply with the Office of Procurement policies. 

I would like to print our departmental logo on a t-shirt. Can I do that? 

For departmental logos (also known as "lock-ups"), please contact the Office of Web & Design via They will create a logo for your to submit with your order. Please allow at least one week for production.

I used to be licensed by William & Mary, can I still use the marks?

No. William & Mary updated their marks in January 2015 and transitioned their licensing program to IMGCL in July 2015. Any agreements and permissions that were granted prior to July 2015 are null and void. Please contact for more information. 

I want to use the feathers, can I still print that logo?

No. This mark is reserved for specific use and is not part of our existing visual identity. We have a variety of logos that are still available, including the Athletics wordmark and the Primary Griffin. 

I want to print a shirt to support my student and their athletic team. How can I do that?

Many of our vendors accept orders of low quantities or allow for customization. Please review our list of licensed vendors or contact for information. 

My student is graduating and I want to put the W&M logo on his/her cake.

We are happy to work with you! Please contact for more information.

I am interested in becoming a W&M licensee. What type of license do I need?

William & Mary offers three license types: Internal Campus Supplier (ICS), Local and Standard. Your business model will dictate which license you are eligible to hold. An Internal Campus Supplier means you are supplying William & Mary with promotional-type products that will not be resold. A Local licensee means you are a small-to-medium sized business located within Virginia looking to sell William & Mary product either at retail or for resell. The Standard license does not place any limits on how and where merchandise is sold. Please visit for more information. 

I am a retailer interested in carrying W&M product. What do I need to do?

We work with a number of manufacturers that produce both apparel and non-apparel products. The first step would be to view our list of licensees to see if one of our existing partners meets your need. If you are unable to locate a licensed vendor to meet your needs, your selected vendor would need to be licensed before product can be produced. Please visit for more information.

I am a department wanting to print folders for our internal use. Do I need to work with a licensed vendor?

Print products should be produced in conjunction with the Office of Web and Design. Please contact for further instructions. 

I am ordering new equipment for my sports team and don't see a vendor that carries what I need. What should I do?

Please contact for additional information. 

My company frequently does business with William & Mary and I would like to print giveaways showing our support. How should I go about this?

Please contact for additional information.