The deadline for submitting a self-designed major for approval: Before the beginning of preregistration in the first semester of the student’s senior year. Applications for self-designed majors are submitted using the button below, and approved by the adviser and then by the Vice-Dean, in consultation with the Committee on Honors and Interdisciplinary Studies. Approval of self-designed majors – and of changes in program (see below) – is by no means automatic. A self-designed major should include the same combination of coverage, coherence, experimentation, and rigor as a regular major. Regular majors are reviewed and approved by the entire faculty of Arts & Sciences before adoption, and the review process for self-designed majors is designed to at least approach that level of oversight.
Before filling out the application for a self-designed major, we suggest you review several documents:
- Course Selection for Self-Design Major advisor worksheet [pdf]
- DocuSign instructions for Self-Designed Majors [pdf]
- Declaration/Change of Major [pdf]
Applications with "elective" as a course description will not be accepted. The application for self-designed majors is in DocuSign. There are four components:
- Declaration/change of major
- Course selection
- Your unofficial transcript (uploaded in the application)
- A one-page document that describes and provides a rationale for your proposed program of study (.pdf, .doc/x uploaded in the application)
We recommend completing the application process with your advisor, if possible. Make sure your application is accurate, and be sure to save a .pdf copy.
Change in Program
Any changes to your major must be made using the Petition for Change [DocuSign]. Work with your advisor to make sure your proposed changes will still fulfill all requirements.
- Approval can take up to 30 days once the application is submitted.
- If for any reason the application requires further details from the student and/or advisor, the application process will have to start from the beginning.
- Upon approval, an email confirmation will be sent to the student, advisor, and the Registrar’s Office. Please note that it can take up to 5 days before the information is updated in DegreeWorks.
For More Information
Please contact Sharon Morris, Undergraduate Curriculum Administrative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org