Elaboration of COLL 300

There are basically three ways students can earn COLL 300 credit:

  1. By taking any course or series of courses totaling 3 or more credits in a W&M study-abroad program approved by the International Studies Advisory Committee and administered by the Reves Center.
  2. By taking a course or series of courses (totaling at least 3 credits) approved by EPC for COLL 300 credit in connection with the series of on-campus visitors arranged each semester by the Center for the Liberal Arts.  For information on the current semester's theme and visitor, consult the website of the CLA.
  3. By engaging in a cross-cultural or international off-campus experience in connection with an on-campus course.   The off-campus experience must occupy at least a week (or at least 40 waking hours of active cross-cultural or international activity).    The off-campus experience may occur before, during, or after the semester in which the course is offered.

If you want to offer a COLL 300 opportunity of type 1, you do not need to seek EPC approval. Students who earn at least 3 credits in an ISAC-approved W&M study-abroad program will automatically receive credit for COLL 300. Courses in study-abroad programs may also fulfill other requirements (e.g., COLL 200), but please make sure your students are aware that they cannot count the same credits for both COLL 300 and any other COLL requirement. 

For COLL 300s of type 2 (the on-campus COLL 300s), you should submit a proposal through the COLL 300 form on Curriculog. You will need to describe how your course will be integrated with the theme arranged by the Center for Liberal Arts in each semester it is being offered for COLL 300 credit.

For proposals of type 3 there are a number of different options.

  • If the course will always be offered with the off-campus experience, and the experience is required of all students in the course, you can apply through Curriculog to have the course permanently approved for COLL 300.
  • If the off-campus experience is optional, the easiest thing to do is to ask the registrar to set up a concurrent second section of the course, and apply for the COLL 300 attribute for the second section.   Students who want COLL 300 credit should then be informed to sign up for the section approved for COLL 300.   Students should be made aware that if they do not engage in the off-campus experience they will not receive COLL 300 credit, even if they pass the course otherwise.
  • If a single student or a small group is engaging in independent, off-campus experiences that can be integrated with a credit-bearing course of at least 3 credits, the student should fill out a COLL 300 Post-Approval form [.doc, will download] that will be submitted to the Charles Center for vetting.  No application to EPC is required.