Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

Student Employment

The W&M Office of Financial Aid coordinates student employment opportunities with the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement. Departments that hire student employees on campus include Swem Library, Athletics, Information Technology, University Advancement, Student Unions & Engagement, Campus Recreation, Residence Life, Auxiliary Services, academic departments and more. Positions become available throughout the year, so don't limit your search to the start of the fall semester.

On-campus positions are intended for full-time William & Mary students. Due to limited funds, some positions are limited to Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) students only. However, you don't need Federal Work-Study in order to work on campus.

Application & Payroll Information

Resources For W&M Departments and Offices

Is your campus department or office looking to hire student employees?

Explore resources for hiring a student

Student Jobs at a Glance

  • Wages

    Student employees are paid an hourly rate on a bi-weekly basis. The rate is usually the current federal minimum wage, but may be higher depending on the type of work and skills required for the position.

  • Work Hours

    Students may work a maximum of 29 hours per week during the academic year. During breaks, students may work up to 40 hours per week. A student may work more than one job, but the maximum combined hours remains the same.

  • Hiring Process

    Each department manages its own job search. Positions are advertised on TribeCareers, on departmental websites, fliers on campus, social media etc. and applications are processed by Financial Aid.

Find a Job

TribeCareers is your official gateway to on-campus research, job and internship opportunities. If you need assistance with TribeCareers, contact the Employer Engagement & Programming team in the Office of Career Development & Professional Engagement. The Financial Aid office do not offer job placement, students should conduct their own job searches to identify available positions that best fit their interests and skills.

Applying & Payroll

Applying & Payroll

Which forms and items do you need for employment?

  1. Electronic Personnel Action Forms (EPAFs) - completed by hiring department
  2. Employment Eligibility Electronic Verification (I-9)
  3. Valid Social Security number

Once hired, the following should be completed on the first day of employment:

  1. Federal Tax Form (W-4)
  2. Virginia Tax Form (VA-4)
  3. Direct Deposit Form

View Instructions & More

Department Resources

Campus departments and employers can post available jobs, review applications and hire student employees using TribeCareers.

Residence Life Jobs & Funding

Working for the Office of Residence Life as a Resident Assistant (RA) is not only a great leadership opportunity but can also be a great way to help offset your housing expenses. In some cases, you may already be receiving financial aid that covers those housing expenses allowed in the cost of attendance. In that scenario, the receipt of RA funding may impact your eligibility for financial aid and result in an adjustment to your financial aid. You are welcome to reach out to us so that we can review your account to determine how RA funding may (or may not) impact your financial aid eligibility.

We're Here to Help

If you have additional questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Blow Memorial Hall, Room 124
757- 221-2420